Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about a month now, I am dealing with flyers, fork hits, and generally so bad consistency that is really worse than ever.
I refused to accuse my equipment, instead I tried to see if my technique got somehow worse, as I shoot without pausing during the draw cycle, mainly because I became so comfortable and consistent, that I don't really need to aim for more than a split second.
You can imagine my surprise when I got to the point that I didn't know if I will miss the catch box altogether.....
I was shooting some old laminated roo pouch, which was starting to delaminate, I switch briefly to a normal microfiber one, I saw an immediate improvement, and still decided that it was me and not the pouch.
Well, today I had enough, and I just used a good, new pouch for all my practice session, and yeah, I am almost back to normal (*almost* because for the last month I had no real practice as I was dealing with flyers non stop).

Do you guys have similar experiences? Is it just me? Is it real or psychological? Now I really need some help and advice.

·
Neophyte
2,001 Posts
I've had similar issues with pouches stretching or the nap of the leather fluffing up too much. I tend to look at pouches as consumables and if they get funky I don't hesitate to toss them. The lamination issue would make the pouch flutter in my opinion, one of the reasons I shy away from laminated pouches in general. Just my 2 cents :)

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
I tend to want to squeeze the very limit of use from each item...but I am slowly coming to the conclusion that sometimes a thing should be replaced.

This is one of them.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
This old video that I made several years ago might be of a little help on pouch maintenance to some. wRr98nL7q3U

Reactions: M Mars

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Man aint this hobby maddening! one little thing can throw the whole works off. Take that pouch off, throw it on the floor, and leaverite (leave 'er right where she is). After stomping on it of course!

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I feel like when you think about fliers they happen more often.. don't think so much .. getba good even pouch hold .. and a even smooth release ... also try reducing your taper a few Mm hope it subsides buddy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
I've learned this lesson the hard way. I make most of my own pouches out of elk hide. With time they stretch (leather really does have a grain, in that it tends to stretch more in one direction than another). Laminating helps by crossing the grains but, if they arn't or if the laminating starts to give than the bottom of the pouch/pocket can shed the ball as it expands at a different rate than the other side of the pouch.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I use Buffalo cut against the bias, Soft, strong, pliable with very little stretch!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, the issue is solved. It was a complex one though.
One part was the pouch, but it had only very little to do with it. So that's what happened.
I started hitting everything on sight very easily, and that, naturally, gave me a lot of confidence. Now, that confidence really made me adopt a very bad habit, without me even realising it. I started shooting very fast, with no regard to the basic steps, because, well, if you are nailing a 1 1/4 spinner, you have no need for paying attention, right? WRONG!!!
The bad habit I picked up was not holding the frame straight, top fork much nearer my face than the bottom one.
It took me a lot of time to find out the problem because of overconfidence, but I persevered and have finally found it.
I still don't shoot as well as before, because I was trying everything except correcting the real issue, but now I can start practicing again effectively ????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts