Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always wanted a tranportable backstop that folds to full size and is silent in operation. This is the result. I have a new respect for those who sew for a living, it actually took me a whole day and 90 yards of twine to get everything in place.

The shape is retained by a wooden cross on top of the box (It's possible to put it inside for better looks, but is takes much longer to disassemble). Two Rings on the lower side allow to anchor the box to the ground on windy days.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wow! Nice work, Melchior!

Looks like the ultimate in portable shooting fun!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nice mel, not sure if you wanna play with it more, but mine has some small steel rivet joints in it that stiffen the bottom a bit. I'm sure you could make something to duplicate it. They fold up into each other as well, it's still quite portable.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Ha! I love sewing, my mum didn't believe I still knew how to sew after all these years, she taught me when I was 7/8, I sew things all the time, I find it very Zen in nature. And specifically for slingshots, I use a very thin leather for my pouches which I fold and sew, this gives a very soft flexible pouch which grips the ammo with sensitivity ... I love it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw some very well crafted pouches on a Czech tournament: The shooter used very tin leather and seamed the rim and the band holes (like you would do with a button hole). He said they outlast the bands so long that it makes the work worthwile.

@njenkins: How do the rivets straighten the bottom?

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
I always wanted a tranportable backstop that folds to full size and is silent in operation. This is the result. I have a new respect for those who sew for a living, it actually took me a whole day and 90 yards of twine to get everything in place.

The shape is retained by a wooden cross on top of the box (It's possible to put it inside for better looks, but is takes much longer to disassemble). Two Rings on the lower side allow to anchor the box to the ground on windy days.
That looks amazing Mel!!!! Do you have a pattern or instructions?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I can give you a pattern. However, I plan to make the simpler version next week and think it is worthwile to compare both models. The current one has 9 cloth parts + the suspended rug inside, next version will consist of only 3 parts + rug. PM me if you like to have a pattern for this version.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Belay that.. The bottom just has wire going through the opening across the target area to make it stiffer for flyers. The rivets are on the top and they go from front to back of target. Then bungie like material with hooks to stretch it out and open the square shape up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This one is the simplified version - it uses a front with cut-out target opening. The opening's rims are reinforced with straps. And the backstop's shape is retained by two lengths of wood running parallel to the side walls. (I need to make two that fit the backstop better, these are from stop #1 )

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts