Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Hi, I'm new here.
Look for me on britishblades.com

I made this last night in forged steel and desert ironwood with white spacers and nickel corby bolts.

The front is shaped to give purchase.

The back is contoured for comfort and control.

The flatbands are Theraband Silver. I divided one band into two strips, which taper from a half-width to one third for optimal power and velocity.

I also punched out the leather pouch. The two central holes are so I can attach a loop. The rest are for grip and to lighten the pouch a little.

I rolled the tips over to reduce wear. The attachment holes were drift punched so there are no sharp edges.

It can be gripped conventionally...

... or in a finger "V". It's symmetrical and so ambidextrous.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nice slingshot. I wish I could make things like that; I am so inept.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Very nice! both the wood and the metal are great. I like the imperfect look of the metal and the way you bent the top over.

It is good to see ones you guys produce with metal as I don't have metal working tools. Again, great to see your slingshots with metal incorporated.

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Very nice ZDP! How did you like working with the notorious Desert Ironwood? Flatband

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome and the generous complements.

Very nice ZDP! How did you like working with the notorious Desert Ironwood? Flatband
I had this plank sliced from a fallen tree that I was saving. There was lots of iffy bits so I cut round them and found a bit suitable for this project. I sliced through the wood so that the grain seems to flow through the metal. DI is hard as nails, but that's OK on a big belt grinder. I just won't be doing any hand carved sculpting. The hardness makes for clean cuts and a high polish.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I prefer the longevity of gold or the speed of black. Silver does have its place, though.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's no surprise you missed it. This was my first post. My skills remain at a similar level to this, but my style and understanding of what makes a good slingshot has moved on tremendously. I will probably never make one similar again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I adore the rugged look

·
Registered
18 Posts
ZDP,
Great job at adding your own personal flair to your SS. I work with a lot of blade smiths by the nature of my craft (custom leatherwork) and have a real love for forged items and the work that goes into them. Keep it up! I can't wait to see the next one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts