Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just returned from the DAV (Disabled American Vet's) store with the following item. Being extremely ignorant about leather*, I don't even know if this made in China jacket is real leather.

I'm judging that the actual "leather" in this thing is around 1/32nd of an inch or maybe even less. I made a pouch and rigged it with a single tube of 20-40, which is very light pull, and it ripped right through the "leather" on my first pull.

If this is leather, I'm obviously going to have to glue a few layers together but I do not know what glue to use. I have tried to do this in the past with similar leather using super glue, but that made the pouch too stiff.

I need some schooling here.

Who's got a leather fetish?
* This and a myriad of other subjects.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Well, I just returned from the DAV (Disabled American Vet's) store with the following item. Being extremely ignorant about leather*, I don't even know if this made in China jacket is real leather.

I'm judging that the actual "leather" in this thing is around 1/32nd of an inch or maybe even less. I made a pouch and rigged it with a single tube of 20-40, which is very light pull, and it ripped right through the "leather" on my first pull.

If this is leather, I'm obviously going to have to glue a few layers together but I do not know what glue to use. I have tried to do this in the past with similar leather using super glue, but that made the pouch too stiff.

I need some schooling here.

Who's got a leather fetish?
* This and a myriad of other subjects.
It would more likely have to be a contact craft fabric /leather glue from Hobby Lobby and they also sell Tandy kits there so you can get the glue there.

And Besides, There's no fool like an old fool, I otta know.

·
Philly
2,595 Posts
You would look handsome in that jacket Bill

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Philly, I probably would've about 10 years ago. I'm only saying that because one of my daughters tried it on and cried, "Yeah -- Woodstock! Diggin' Jimi Hendrix and Janic!" ... and she looked cool as he|| to me, ha ha.

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another old fool here...Tandy leather has the glue you need...and you might even try contact cement...rubbery, waterproof, and flexible...
Contact at Tandy it is ... first I'll try Michael's though cuz it's right around the corner. Thanks, man.

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Ever since the industry figured out how to split hides, clothes have been made out of super thin stuff which has no strength. You will need to glue several layers together.

Hard to beat good quality contact cement. Buy it cheaply at a hardware store. They make two types ... (1) water soluble, and (2) acetone based. By all means, give the water soluble stuff a pass ... get the acetone stuff. Follow the directions on the can. Coat both surfaces with the stuff and let it dry about 15 minutes at least ... until no longer tacky to the touch. Then put the two surfaces together ... instant bond ... pound on it lightly with a rubber mallet. BIG HINT: glue two (or even three) pieces together larger than your pouch ... cut out your pouch after gluing the pieces together.

Cheers ..... Charles

·
Registered
116 Posts
You might also try the iron on fusable web used for hemming fabrics. At least it is cheap so if it dosent work you arent out of a lot of money and can be used for a lot of fabric repairs around the house. My wife used it to hem my daughters pants for school and it worked pretty good as a matter of fact i was thinking of making some denim pockets to try out with a couple of slingshots I have to see if it strenghthens it enough to work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use doubled up pouches sometimes but have given up bonding them together as after a few shots they seem to align perfectly anyhow. Not gone to 3 layer though..nothing is wasted, cool purchase

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I have really learned a lot here. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Charles, thanks for the detailed advice, I'll be following it.

Sidebar: Darrell, I won't dispute, but I'd sure like to trade stories over a cup with ya sometime.

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts
Barge Cement. Period.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts