Slingshots Forum banner

Did you ever decide your own personal do-it-all favorite ammo? How come you chose what you did?

3K views 36 replies 27 participants last post by  Henry the Hermit 
#1 ·
I'm so new at this sport I feel like a wobbly legged colt looking up at thoroughbreds thundering down the track around me. Guess I need to live the sport more before I really can afford an opinion. But. I'm beginning to think 8mm ammo may be MY answer for an my all-around ammo. Relatively inexpensive where I am, the bands can be thinner and narrower than with the 3/8 inch balls I've shot mostly. I had right shoulder rotator cuff surgical repair last year and guess because of age etc it hasn't returned to and never will be what my shoulder was 20 years ago. After 25 rounds of 3/8 inch ball I feel like a wood bat has been used on my shoulder to get my attention.
I can't really hunt any more as I sold the farm and moved into a small town subdivision. So anything but a garden raiding squirrel or rabbit isn't a possibility these days. An accurate head shot with 8mm steel at 225 FPS should do everything I need in the wilderness of suburbia.
I can entertain the idea of having a slingshot for tossing 7/16 and maybe even 1/2 inch balls downrange on a day I feel froggy, but the lighter weight balls, bands and tubes just right now seem like where I'm heading.
You folks that have room for magnificent 35+ yard shots with half and full butterfly slinging are amazing. I reckon you need and can handle the strain of the big bands. And I love watching videos of your all's skills in action.
Favorite ammo thoughts so I can judge myself harshly?
Thanks. Don

See less See more
Discussion starter · #16 ·
I believe the best thing for me to do is transition from the 3/8 inch to 5/16 inch steel ball. The lighter draw weight is very attractive to me with my damaged shoulder. I can build up strength (maybe) and use the 3/8 inch ball down the road perhaps.
I've been using the search feature for to find a good recipe for 5/16 using what I have on hand right at this time:
Simpleshot 0.7 black
Theraband Gold (thickness ?)

Amberbelt
Cotton butcher's twine.

Simpleshot microfiber pouches both small and large.

Draw length is 33 inches so 33 divided by 5 gives me a 6.6 inch active length and I'm adding 1 inch to total for tying at the pouch and frame.
Suggestions appreciated.
Don

Discussion starter · #27 ·
I shot 5/16 yesterday for the first time. And using Simpleshot Black 0.7 tapered 5/8-1/2. I sure liked the ease of drawing versus the 22mm-18mm tapered bands that came with my Sparrow, but the 5/16 ammo honestly seemed to just putter along. But I was able to hold the draw easier and focus on aiming, anchor and pinch much better than before. I'll admit though it was easier to hit the swinging target.
Looking forward to experimenting.
Thank you all. Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.