Slingshots Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
I started with 9.5mm because that’s what everyone seemed to shoot at the time. It’s still my main ammo. Seems like nowadays a lot more people, especially Chinese shooters, shoot 8mm. I do shoot that from time to time. Lighter bands and more ammo for the same price are nice. I don’t ever really see myself switching to it full time though. Don’t have much of a reason to switch at this point.

My favorite for target practice is 1/4”. Dirt cheap, don’t need a lot of latex, super easy draw. You can get those puppies screaming fast too. For my heavies I like 3/8” and every great once in a while I’ll pull out the big 1/2” and blow the living crap out of a bunch of soda cans 😁. I’d say .4mm or .5mm latex and some 1/4” or 5/16 would be a healthy daily shooter for the shoulder though. Especially for just 10 meter plinking.
I would love to shoot 1/4" / 6mm steel, but I haven't found a vendor of those with a good price. I get 8mm cheaper here in germoney. (kugel-winnie.de).
And 8mm is really nice to hold in the pouch, like the perfect size for normal sized
hands and fingers.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
I shot 5/16 yesterday for the first time. And using Simpleshot Black 0.7 tapered 5/8-1/2. I sure liked the ease of drawing versus the 22mm-18mm tapered bands that came with my Sparrow, but the 5/16 ammo honestly seemed to just putter along. But I was able to hold the draw easier and focus on aiming, anchor and pinch much better than before. I'll admit though it was easier to hit the swinging target.
Looking forward to experimenting.
Thank you all. Don

I shot 5/16 yesterday for the first time. And using Simpleshot Black 0.7 tapered 5/8-1/2. I sure liked the ease of drawing versus the 22mm-18mm tapered bands that came with my Sparrow, but the 5/16 ammo honestly seemed to just putter along. But I was able to hold the draw easier and focus on aiming, anchor and pinch much better than before. I'll admit though it was easier to hit the swinging target.
Looking forward to experimenting.
Thank you all. Don
Do you have any lighter band to try?

Afraid my experience is quite limited but I do share your concern with shoulders that are not so young anymore.
So my ammo is .177 steel BB's with 16-10-0.5 mm blue Ignite latex - usually two BB's side by each in the pouch. Not sure it would even get to a kilo of draw weight.
The two BB twins are easier on my finger and thumb.
Sometimes shoot Pocket Shot orange plastic balls from the same latex but my release is not as clean with those.
And, occasionally, used .22 cal air rifle pellets that have been sort of rounded off with a pair of pliers. They hit nice and hard but don't fly that straight.
Kudos to the guys who can shoot the big artillery! Must be very satisfying but hey, I'm not competing, just having fun.......

10 mm steel
10 mm lead if was easy and cheap to source.
I still shoot 8 and 12 but 10 weight and diameter feels best to pouch pinch and cuts cans correct at my level.
Sure sharp shooters will cut cans faster with 8 than me on 10, but 12 does to much damage.
And this has changed just a little awhile (I shoot daily) ago would opt for ttf vs ott. Never would have thought that a year ago.
Test for your self the pinch grip sensation and release accuracy to determin what works best.
As said 10 just feels best to me useing pit pouch as well.
ukj

Hey KYwisher, if you want to get into shooting the 8mm / 5/16 ammo message me and I will send you some bandsets like I use. May not be perfect for you but it will give you something else to try :)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.