Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fed up with just staining and varnishing, so i thought i,d try something differant, i sanded my pocket slingshot then painted it black, waited for it to dry then sanded it then stained it, im not going to varnish it cos it looks nice the way it is and feel nice, i also put my rings what i use on the top, cheers jeff

·
Registered
780 Posts
I like it

I was fed up with just staining and varnishing, so i thought i,d try something differant, i sanded my pocket slingshot then painted it black, waited for it to dry then sanded it then stained it, im not going to varnish it cos it looks nice the way it is and feel nice, i also put my rings what i use on the top, cheers jeff

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Are those just rings just screw in, if not how are they attached and how do they hold up to the strain of shooting? Nice looking sling shot too!!

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Are those just rings just screw in, if not how are they attached and how do they hold up to the strain of shooting? Nice looking sling shot too!!
They are the screw in type, i put glue on and just twist them in, ive never had one pull out yet, ive got a sligshot ive been using for years with strong bands with no trouble,
ps. i wasnt going to varnish it but changed my mind, it looks ever better ha ha , jeff

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wow. What a terrific frame you made there, shot!!! Nice finish technique!!

·
Super Moderator
6,511 Posts
Hey Jeff, it's got that Old weather beaten barn door appearance that is so desired by woodworkers. Pretty cool Bud! Flatband

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It looks rough but feel very smooth, it looks better than the photos, im going to try a crackled paint finish, next week, its all the Forums fault, i was happy with my old bits of tree with no varnish and just a bit of sandpaper over it, ive got the bug now, ha ha , jeff

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Old school square bands would look so right on that design.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have just sanded it again and put 20 coats of varnish on it, it is very smooth to the touch but still has the weathered look, i have also put the thin tubes on, which i am starting to love, it looks a lot better now, and has a glass like look to it with the varnish, jeff

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I like it ! Looks like it has been around for years.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have just sanded it again and put 20 coats of varnish on it, it is very smooth to the touch but still has the weathered look, i have also put the thin tubes on, which i am starting to love, it looks a lot better now, and has a glass like look to it with the varnish, jeff

[/quote]
I have been playing around with a handmade slingshot and like you I varnished it and it also felt rough after one coat.After reading your post of applying 20 coats of varnish to get a smooth finish I really thought about getting a smooth finish a different way.And decided to use wet and dry very fine sandpaper.So wet the paper gave it a sand applied another coat of varnish and was very surprised at the finish it is like glass, very smooth and shiny after just two coats I was very impressed I hope this is of use to you.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

[/quote]
I have been playing around with a handmade slingshot and like you I varnished it and it also felt rough after one coat.After reading your post of applying 20 coats of varnish to get a smooth finish I really thought about getting a smooth finish a different way.And decided to use wet and dry very fine sandpaper.So wet the paper gave it a sand applied another coat of varnish and was very surprised at the finish it is like glass, very smooth and shiny after just two coats I was very impressed I hope this is of use to you.
[/quote]

I couldnt sand it right down cos of the finish, its painted then stained, if i had sanded it too much you take too much paint off, i like the old look, jeff

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

[/quote]
[/quote]

I couldnt sand it right down cos of the finish, its painted then stained, if i had sanded it too much you take too much paint off, i like the old look, jeff
[/quote]
I was not removing the varnish and sanding the wood anymore just smoothing down the varnish it was a very fine snd wet sandpaper and rubbed it lightly it did not take much.I dont think it would have altered your look on the paintwork

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I was not removing the varnish and sanding the wood anymore just smoothing down the varnish it was a very fine snd wet sandpaper and rubbed it lightly it did not take much.I dont think it would have altered your look on the paintwork
[/quote]

Ok cheers, shoots nice, feels like rubber ha ha, got a rat with it this morning, if i dont get a clean kill i could aways hit it with the thing, with the weight of all the varnish ha ha, jeff

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
That's a real nice looking slingshot, Jeff. I have picked up some eye bolts and am going to use them myself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts