Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Buckthorn and Tartarian honeysuckle are two woods I like to use for slingshots, as they are invasive and doing a lot of damage here. You can get interesting looks out of buckthorn. I just finished up 7 more naturals. The two on the left are buckthorn, showing two variations in color. The third from the left is mulberry. To the far right is a bur oak, one of the ugliest slingshots I've made. It shoots better than most I've tried or I'd toss it out!

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here you see two more on the left out of buckthorn. It's another look to the wood. The slingshot to the far right is Tartarian honeysuckle. It's a dense, heavy wood, full of character! I call it cat wood, as cats go insane over it. It's even better than catnip to them. Until sealed, you have to keep it way from them or they carry off forks!

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yes. The dark black and orange areas are inner bark. Otherwise, the wood is yellow with orange heartwood. On dead buckthorn, the inner bark is usually black and ivory. It looks like bone! About 30% of the time, even when slowly dried for months, it cracks open when you peel off the bark. I fill the cracks with black epoxy I mix up. Also, the inner bark forms tiny, hair-like splinters. You have to clear-coat it to get rid of them.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.