Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
The Mini Taurus I recently got came tied with PP smart ties. Since new, they've come untied numerous times. I'm not sure if the tubing i.d. is a bit oversized or just slippery, but the nylon pegs easily slip out of the tubes. I haven't had one fail in use or smack me in the face, but I'm definitely having issues. There are enough people using them that I believe they can work. I've also watched Bill's video on them and am following his process. I changed the dowels they came with to a couple of pieces of .105 string trimmer line and they stay in the tubes better. Should I persist with these or should I just wrap and tuck with strips of Theraband? Thanks.

Charles

BTW, I'm not bagging on Pocket Predator. I'm enjoying the Taurus very much.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would wrap and tuck. I haven't experienced slippage, but better safe than sorry.
I just got through wrapping and tucking one of the forks on the Taurus. I used a snare for the tuck. It looks and feels secure, but I'll be checking it every shot until I'm sure I'm doing it safely.

Charles

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope you find a solution and post what you find. I watched Bills video a couple times, and Im really interested in what might be the issue.
I'm not sure I can put what I'm experiencing into understandable words, but I'll try. Everything makes perfect sense with the initial wraps and with the wraps over the tab that creates the little "tube" where the plastic dowel is inserted. The part that is counterintuitive to me is that after making the "tube", the tie wraps in what is essentially the opposite direction, constantly attempting to pull the dowel out of the tube. Bill is obviously scary smart and if the system didn't work, there would be lots of threads about it. The advantages I do see are that it's visually easy to see if the tie is secure where the "tuck" on the wrap and tuck can pull out without much warning. Using wrap and tuck, I feel much better with a small visible piece of the band showing on the sides of the tuck. I hope that makes a little sense ????.

Charles

·
Mojave Mo
5,318 Posts
So. The orange tip essentially needs to 'bind' in the looped cavity of the flatband. If that orange tip is slipping out then my guess is that they looped cavity in the flatband need to be smaller. I almost make mine too small. I usually need a little spit to noodle that orange tip into the space. Make sense?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
4689ade16aa35c5c08f4ff1330b76270.jpg

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That does make sense. Mine normally looks like your picture. Maybe my "looped" band is a bit loose. Even with your picture, the pull back towards the wraps is visible. If my loop was a bit loose I could see how it would tend to pull out. Thanks for the pic.

Charles

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little update on my experience with smart ties. I don't know if the tubing I received was heavily powdered inside or was otherwise slippery, but the dowels easily pulled out. I switched to a slightly longer piece of.105 trimmer line and they're holding now. I also made the "loop" tighter and that's helping as well. I guess I'm back on the team.. Thanks for the help!

Charles

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I always slip the orange peg into the other end of the tube. I start my wrap with about 1/2" of tube sticking up. I wrap close to the short tab and alternate wrapping around one side of the tab and then the other. Make sure you finish with a little stretch needed to slip it into the tube. Wet the peg and slide it home. I've never had one pop out but after a few tube sets they sometime poke through the side of the tube. Round the peg ends to help installation and slow down the piercing problem on the tube. One of the pics in my review shows the finished ties on the front.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.