Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my recent posts, I have shown my second board cut, a Red Oak/Apple Palm Swell model based on many features of slingshots I own. Well, it became my most accurate target shooter, 90/95 out of 100 inside 3" at 7 yards. Last night, shooting indoors disaster struck. I was shooting with a big bandaid on my pouch thumb to cover a nasty crack under the nail. I noticed that my release was off and I had a few fliers. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to it and then it happened. As I was drawing back, almost at full draw I felt the pouch slipping off my thumb. BANG, WHAM, fork hit on the outside fork. Well, the Red Oak has a beautiful straight grain and the .44 cal lead ball hit the tip and sheared the fork off along the grain line. Fortunately, when I draw I do not bring the pouch to anchor untill I am at full strech so the sling was still below my face. I don't know how the fork flew but it never hit me. Th .44 Cal lead ball however, went right through the sheetrock on the cieling. I was devastated, I loved the slingshot.

This morning I decided I would try to repair it, I glued it together, then drilled two 3/16 holes angled through the crack into the main body and installed two steel rods. So far, looks Ok and will be usable and I don't see how it would affect the accuracy. Time will tell.

I wear glasses full time and they are shatter proof, the rest of my face is not however. Lesson learned, don't shoot without protection and never with a bandaid on your shooting thumb. I am lucky that when I first got back to slingshots, I conciously developed a drawing and mounting method that gives some protection from bands breaking at the fork. It may have saved me from a serious injury. I guess Multi Plex is the answer going forward,
Philly

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lead is no problem with a good catch box, balls stay round and you dont loose any ( except the one in the cieling). I like to practice with what I hunt with.
Philly

·
Super Moderator
6,965 Posts
Glad you're okay Phil. As far as the repair-That'll work Bud! Jaybird blew a frame of his apart and pinned it and he uses the heaviest band set I cut for any shooter and that is still one of his favorites. He made the repair across the same crack -pinned and glued it up. Hop she works for you! Flatband

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Gary, looks like it will work out, will strap it up tommorow and give it a go. BTW check your PM I sent you something.
Philly

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
That's a bummer! I know how much a slingshot means when you make it yourself. As valueable as one you've paid for, just for different reasons.
Hope your repair goes well!

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, repair went well, stronger now than original. Two 3/16 rods CA glued in thru main frame. Looks good and still shoots well.
Philly

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, repair went well, stronger now than original. Two 3/16 rods CA glued in thru main frame. Looks good and still shoots well.
Philly
Oh yeah, my wife finally saw the hole in the cieling, she worried more about that than my beloved slingshot. Go figure?
Philly

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad ur ok Phil !
Hey Man, where you been hiding? Looking forward to a get together.

Yeah, it was a little scary afterwards, fortunately the only damage was to the slingshot and the cieling. Both repaired already.

Philly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.