Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
First of sorry for the bad sketch, but I am a man of music, not drawing...
Second, I know all of of you are aware of this, as was I, but I decided to give it a try, shoot "correctly" for once, and because I got surprised, here are my findings.
Sketch explanation. 1.) Is my posture when shooting long draw. Head tilts a bit, the arms have a slight angle in relation to the torso. I shoot very well this way semi instinctive, in fact I shoot so well that this style may deserve some more practice as it is very fun and relaxed, just getting a feeling about when to release and hitting consistently whike it's not expected from such a "loose" style.
2.) This is how I am shooting from the beginning, 7 months now.
Left arm at a slight angle to the torso, head tilt, right arm also a slight angle, short draw to the cheek bone.
Now, this style gave me very good results, but didn't allow me to be as consistent as I would like. I aim for a group no bigger than 2.5cm, and although I can shoot everything I can see, this level of consistency just eludes me.
3.) Left arm completely in line with the torso, NO head tilt at all, right arm naturally comes as straight as possible because it follows the rest of the posture by necessity.

The number 3. Was something I've tried from time to time, because I always thought it's the best way to shoot. Every time I tried it though, I got horrible results.
So, yesterday, while at work, I realized that the horrible results are my fault, not the stance's. All the Olympic archers are shooting this way, so it's only natural that this way promotes the best consistency.
Today I've tried it again, but with the express purpose to make this work, and not let bad habits to prevail.

Yeah well, sure enough, after a few shots.....this stance works, and it works really really well. Today is the first time I get a 4/4 on my 1.7cm target. I know that part of it is luck, as I am almost always right around it, and not missing by a lot, but still, this 4/4 is a first. My absolute best was a 2/2, so this is telling, especially with such a drastic posture change.
Now, I shot half instinctive the feihu, 3/4 butterfly, and got surprising results too, and I changed my posture while long drawing too.
7 months of shooting and I am still learning the basics. Just the absolute basics. 7 months of intensive shooting, and I am an AMATEUR, struggling with the most basic aspects of our hobby. And you know what? That's exactly why slingshots is the only hobby that stuck, because it is limitless, there is no ceiling.

Ps. I hope you all realised why so never shoot cans by now :)

PS2. I would like it if you could tell me your stance! I like getting all the feedback I can. Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
When I shoot with the draw arm bent for anchor or short extended draw I will often find my shots drifting. When this happens I remind myself to make my arms like you show in diagram 3 and it tightens the shots back up.
The easy way for me to put it in action is to try to pull my shoulder blades together towards the middle of my back, this puts the arms in the desired alignment.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MJ, I totally agree, as my groups tightened a LOT too. I just had to practice this posture with the express aim to make it work.
When shooting 3/4 butterfly it's another matter though. I just have to "feel" it, to let go when it "feels" right, to position myself according to...."feel" again, and the results are very good groups. Cant understand why such a difference between the two styles though. Probably it's because I'm not so practiced in long draw and I get impressed by my first good groups.

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
I am very much a novice as well, but I think I would fall somewhere between 2 and 3. However, recently I have noticed that when extending my hold arm as straight as possible there seems to be a bit of a difference. Basically what it all comes down to for me is that I need to shoot more to really know anything for sure.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alongside, it took me 7 months to actually manage to do what everyone said from day 1, and that is to be at a perfect 90° to the target.
Number two isn't necessarily wrong, I managed to get very consistent with it. The problem is that it introduces unnecessary variables.
This what I constantly do, remove every variable I possibly can, but it takes time, it's not easy to do, especially when you don't need the advice given correctly, as in my case :)

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
You are definitely right about limiting the amount of variables. I think this approach applies to all genera of shooting sports.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are definitely right about limiting the amount of variables. I think this approach applies to all genera of shooting sports.
There is something else that for some reason is bringing results. I can't explain it wholly, but before you shoot, don't think that you are shooting, convince yourself of another reality. Convince yourself that you aren't shooting a BB, but you, yourself, are the bb, and you are going to smash the target face to face. Aim, don't aim, whatever, just know that you are the bb tmand YOU are smashing your target. It sounds stupid, at least I think it does, but for obscure and unknown reasons, this little immersion in madness, is actually helping me. I am more concerned convincing myself of this illogical thing than actually aim, or release, or anchor or whatever. I let this occupy my whole thought process before I draw and yes, I shoot better when I do it.
(One step away from medication maybe? ????)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
No. 3 is for me. I am primarily an archer who slings when I cannot get to an archery range. My suggestion is to think about your feet position. I make an effort to stand slightly pigeon-toed (toes pointing in) this helps me engage my abdominal muscles which encourages good posture.

I very much enjoy your posts!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At last an archer!!! Now that you've mentioned it, I purposely have my toes pointing out, thinking this will aid with stability, but I will try your suggestion!

·
Banned
193 Posts
Skropi, You have successfully opened up the topic of improving one's stance, posture and other variables involved in slingshot shooting. I've read too many posts that everyone said just have fun and don't worry about stance and posture. Thanks for persisting and bringing out these much needed finer points of slingshot shooting.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ye ye guys, this thing works, consistency skyrockets. The only problem that I realized after just 20 shots, is that I've never exercised my shoulder blade muscles, and they get engaged all the time now. I expect they will become sore....and....I LOVE IT! Another problem is that if I don't slightly lean my head, I am shooting high, windage is ok, but elevation is always high. A slight lean, and all is well though. I did want to avoid even that slight lean to be frank, but moving my anchor is something I don't want to do, so lean I will.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My first day of practicing this stance is approaching its end, so here are the first results.
As expected, consistency is improved, and it is improved very noticeably.
There is a small downside though. New muscles have entered the equation, and it's a tiring stance, taking its toll on muscles even on my arms. This is something to be expected though, my bad bad for not shooting correctly in the first place.
Another thing I noticed is that it is very taxing mentally. I didn't manage to shoot more than 250 shots, and this is because my mind gets very strained, as it is a new technique and I have to conciously control everything.
In order to relax a bit, I shot solely on the 1.7cm target for a bit, but I do need to learn how to relax on the bigger targets too.
The results are very good, so I don't mind the mental pressure. As a gift to myself for doing good, I will allow me more floating anchor shooting next week ????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts