Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm planning on making my first frame with a G10/FR4 core, topped with lamination of G10/C-Tek/carbon fiber/micarta. I will be making a modified Axiom Champ OTT and probably keep the frame flat and simple (exclude ergonomic details such as palms swell), considering I'm completely new to making frames.

I've been researching on gluing, cutting, filing, and polishing these materials and I have a few questions in mind

1. As a first timer, am I too aggressive with the materials?
  2. If so, what other material should I start with? I'm lukewarm about woods, always feel like they crack easily.
  3. G10 and FR4 seem extremely tough to handle with basic hand tools, any tips on handling them with hand tools and some power tools?
  4. What is the optimal thickness for G10/FR4 core? The finishing thickness of my frame is 20mm-is a 3mm core good enough?
  5. What type of glue is ideal for laminating G10/FR4 on G10/C-Tek/CF/Micarta?
  6. Is (mosaic) pin necessary for fixing?
  7. Please point me the direction if other people have done similar stuff and written on this subject matter before.

Much appreciated.

Product Rectangle Magenta Pattern Electronic device

C-Tek (Resin with infused aluminum honeycomb)

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
You say you are new to making frames, but are you new to woodwork/making things with various materials? If you are completely new to this sort of thing then you really dont want to start out with these materials. They are really hard on tools and can take a long time to work. Id suggest starting out with whatever ply wood you can get your hands on. Even if you dont end up with a shootable frame from the plywood, it will help you get the basics of cutting straight lines and corners, and how to work the materials to show the layering the way you want to. If you do use a good quality ply then you will also be able to make a prototype of the frame you are planning to build. Then you can make sure it feels right in your hand and shoots nice. A good quality marine plywood or multiplex, whatever its called where you are,will not crack on you unless you make it ridiculously thin.

If you already have some good experience working with various materials then go for it. Just remember to be safe, dust mask and eye protection at the very least, you DONT want these materials in your lungs or eyes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts