Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up these zebrawood knife handle scales to use in a slingshot build, but it feels kinda light and porous...was wondering if it will need to be stabilized before using?

Thanks in advance,

MW
a1cd275ac39187e1dce9c9831fcaa275.jpg

Sent from my B3-A40 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,858 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey buddy, zebra wood is very porous but hard. You will probably need some grain filler when you do the finish.
Those are beautiful scales can't wait to see what you can do with em.
Thanks for the tip Joe...I'm heading to building supply store today...so I will pick up some grin filler...gonna try to pick up some 1/4" oak too...
I also found a local connection for curly maple, flamed birch, and some nice ash...the guy will mill it to size for me too....

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Hey buddy, zebra wood is very porous but hard. You will probably need some grain filler when you do the finish.
Thanks for the tip Joe...I'm heading to building supply store today...so I will pick up some grin filler...gonna try to pick up some 1/4" oak too...
I also found a local connection for curly maple, flamed birch, and some nice ash...the guy will mill it to size for me too....
get yourself some high quality clear fiber glass resin . And lots of sanding makes anything just about strong and look nice polished up .

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
get yourself some high quality clear fiber glass resin . And lots of sanding makes anything just about strong and look nice polished up .
Just apply with a brush?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to out local building supply retail store "Kent" and they had no idea what grain filler was.....two really young guys...looked like they were still in highschool...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Just apply with a brush?
yea there are ways to brush it on but spray is easier. Practice on a scrap piece of wood first to see if you can get it to your liking.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kind of finish are you planning on using? Anyway it will need extra coats. It's gorgeous wood you won't be disappointed
That's a good question....I have blo...poly...and blo/beeswax past...but I was also thinking about 2 part epoxy....I have some gorilla epoxy that dries clear...I bet that would work well??

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
For a grain filler you can check out Crystalac? I think that stuff has the advantage of drying clear (which is something you may or may not want?). Or you could always just rely on a good workout with some elbow grease to wet sand your finish and fill with the slurry created. You can do this with your homemade danish oil mix. I'm not sure about Truoil because I've never used it. If you look into the method used for finishing guitars or gun stocks you'd find guys showing how its done with Danish oil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts