Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love slingshots, bows, swords...blades in general... and of course going out in the nature.

I am 22(almost 23) and I live with my parents...they think that my passion for all these is stupid and that making them just make me look like a big kid and of course it`s a waste of time.

But this what I like....I don`t like cars or football or other stuff that most people like....I LIKE SLINGSHOTS

What about you? Do you have problems with other people in understanding you?

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree that the slingshot and its users suffer from the stigma of playing with what is seen as a child's toy. I have learned to exploit this weakness when needed and turn it into a strength while "Freedom Hunting". Where I live is very rural and conservative (two thumbs up!!!!) and while there are very few serious slingshot shooters almost every man there had one as a child and there are probably a few old men who have held on to it all their lives. Since everyone knows everyone else they will either know or know of these old men and therefore it is acceptable in their eyes. Of course, guns and hunting are followed by almost every man there, too, so being out and about is not at all derided.

As far as being on your own, that is a good thing. While the people where I live are some of the nicest you'll ever meet worldwide, they are a clannish bunch and as I am an out-of-stater and of closet biracial descent (passing myself off as a cracker, of which I am part) I will state for the record that I spend a full six months a year home from the sea at home off work and have zero friends in my local area/county. This may sound ugly but to be honest I am happier this way as it frees me up for more fishing, roving, and slingshot time. While I don't want to hijack this post and make it about me I'll state that I don't like getting caught up in this week's latest ******* Drama of who's banging whose wife, who's making the meth this weekend, who wants to borrow money, and the list goes on and on. I have Federally-issued licenses from three nations and can't afford to get caught up in some idiot's harebrained schemes. You'll never have those problems wandering the woods and streams with fishing rod and slingshot!

Finally, I've visited your Carpathian Mountains once in western Ukraine. They are very beautiful and remind me of my own Ozarks.
You should visit The Romanian Carpathians as well (if you have the chance), they have unique particularities. Lots of beautiful caves, but most important they are still very wild (even dough you will meet lots of Shepard`s ).

For all of you nature and mountain lovers here you can find a few photos from The Carpathians http://www.facebook.com/buzle.tudor?v=photos&ref=profile

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love slingshots, bows, swords...blades in general... and of course going out in the nature.

I am 22(almost 23) and I live with my parents...they think that my passion for all these is stupid and that making them just make me look like a big kid and of course it`s a waste of time.

But this what I like....I don`t like cars or football or other stuff that most people like....I LIKE SLINGSHOTS

What about you? Do you have problems with other people in understanding you?
I am 50 this year and only started shooting slingshots last october when people at work found out and my parents, especially my dad they all laughed at me for playing with a kids toy,so I asked them to hold a paper target in front of their face whilst I took a couple of shots being a toy it should not hurt.None of them volunteered and they dont mention it anymore,I too do not like football and told them so I dont see any skill in kicking a ball 10 inches in size into a goalmouth 6feet high and twelve feet in length wow that is difficult NOT.
[/quote]

I really like your style ....maybe I should do the same...but only after I`ll move out

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'm autistic and have many hobbies, my parents have always been very pratical and most of my friends, impractical; I only have trouble explaining myself when the person listening finds it hard to see past their own view of what they percieve the objects to be in the first place. In other words, when I started the martial arts at 16, my parents and friends thought it was a joke, when I took up Rubiks cubes a couple of years ago, everyone was impressed, I was in the top 10 cubers in the UK last year and I still study the martial arts after 12 years; none of my friends or family (save one or two) are interested in the martial arts, but they all think the cube is more impressive; I just cube for fun the martial arts is a whole ... art, for want of a better word. My point is, you know how practical and fun a catapult can be, so if you think it has enough potential to dedicate some time to, do it, others will see over time (unless they're like my family who still just don't get learning the martial arts) and do yourself a favour and think about moving out, if I can do it, almost everyone else can.
P.S. have a look at my subscriptions on my youtube page (wanderinggibbon) I'm on Jorgs friend list, you're not alone.

I think of all the things you could have chosen, catapults are one of the best!
Louis.
your message really impressed me
.....and yes, you are right...I am moving out next week
I hope it will be a great experience, as the job I found is not that great, but still...no one to bother me anymore

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.