Slingshots Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
10,979 Posts
I am going to be 65 years old next month, and just started shooting a slingshot about two months ago. I carve wooden spoons too. These are things you can do alone and I've always been pretty much a loner.
I cannot say that I don't care what other people think because I do. I guess they just figure me for an oddball... and I guess I am. So what?
The appeal of the slingshot is to me the same as the appeal of the wooden spoon. It is basically a simple object, even primitive. But the potential for variety and style is endless. (Oh, and it's cheap, too. I like that.) I like trying to perfect a simple thing like carving a spoon or making a slingshot or shooting one. Probably cause I'm a simple man.
... simple minded, anyway!

· Registered
237 Posts
me and my esoteric interests,
esoteric = oddball

[/quote]

Indeed!
Slingshots, role playing games, the SCA, miniature wargames (that was a very short dabble), the banjo, and a number of other unrelated interests that have come along, some of which are still around and others of which have gone their merry way out again. I just wish I had a better place for shooting to get some practice in.

· Registered
8 Posts
I'm in the process of making a couple slingshots for my 4 year old son and myself, and I'm making them as TOYS. I think this would be a great alternative to the TV and video games that seem to dominate the life of most children these days. There could be a lot of life lessons to be learned from these toys. ie.. Not everything has to have flashy lights to be fun. If you want to be good at something, it takes hard work, keep practicing. Your decisions have consequences, you decided to shoot that squirrel, it's dead, there's no taking it back. There is a world outside of your house that you can play in! Go enjoy it! The list could go on for quite a while.

· Resigned
5,341 Posts
I am going to be 65 years old next month, and just started shooting a slingshot about two months ago. I carve wooden spoons too. These are things you can do alone and I've always been pretty much a loner.
I cannot say that I don't care what other people think because I do. I guess they just figure me for an oddball... and I guess I am. So what?
The appeal of the slingshot is to me the same as the appeal of the wooden spoon. It is basically a simple object, even primitive. But the potential for variety and style is endless. (Oh, and it's cheap, too. I like that.) I like trying to perfect a simple thing like carving a spoon or making a slingshot or shooting one. Probably cause I'm a simple man.
Why not make a spoon slingshot the natural curve may tend to make it ergo so it feels nice in the hand. I am for simple living. Everything is too fast and complicated. Many buy into the ffalse idea that life is about aquiring all you can just before you drop dead and you have to leave it all anyway. I am a minimalist and hate xcess. There are many things that I consider to be of no value. The more you have the more you have to worry about.

· "Southern Flip Style"
2,443 Posts
Fun topic!!! Everyone has made a lot of excellent points!!! Stay the course my friends!!!! Have fun with your catties!!! Use them as needed, for fun, food, or heaven forbid... for a bit of protection. Slingshots cover the entire spectrum of possible uses just like other shooting sports. Tiny spring BB guns, .22 cal., shotguns, rifles and handguns. Slingshots here in the States sometimes don't get the respect they deserve for a variety of reasons, association with children's toys, our obsession with MORE POWER, and the fact that unlike guns, most people are not afraid of them. However, this is a GOOD thing, as I for one would like to keep enjoying my "silly hobby."

· Registered
899 Posts
Hey- I'm in my 70,s-been shooting slingshots and makin em since bout 8 - 9 yr old, if people give me the- OOoooooohh, treatment and roll their eyes , I figure they don't know s--- about slingshots anyway, so I just say did ya ever hear bout what David did to Goliath????? ((((= not even the same thing=BUT THEY DON'T KNOW IT=)))), and they say Oh yea that's right, sounds like a neat hobby, and they wander off in their ignorance, leaving me be= while I enjoy my hobby- Have found out that the ones that make stupid remarks are the ones that have a hard time finding their way out of a rainstorm anyway, and that's what I do

· Premium Member
99 Posts
My neighbors go water sking, boating , riding their Harleys, or spend thousands of dollars on trucks that make alot of noise and never make it off the paved highway . As long as I am not bothering anyone, whats the difference! At least I'm not pissing my money away on drugs .

· Registered
1,867 Posts
I'm autistic and have many hobbies, my parents have always been very pratical and most of my friends, impractical; I only have trouble explaining myself when the person listening finds it hard to see past their own view of what they percieve the objects to be in the first place. In other words, when I started the martial arts at 16, my parents and friends thought it was a joke, when I took up Rubiks cubes a couple of years ago, everyone was impressed, I was in the top 10 cubers in the UK last year and I still study the martial arts after 12 years; none of my friends or family (save one or two) are interested in the martial arts, but they all think the cube is more impressive; I just cube for fun the martial arts is a whole ... art, for want of a better word. My point is, you know how practical and fun a catapult can be, so if you think it has enough potential to dedicate some time to, do it, others will see over time (unless they're like my family who still just don't get learning the martial arts) and do yourself a favour and think about moving out, if I can do it, almost everyone else can.
P.S. have a look at my subscriptions on my youtube page (wanderinggibbon) I'm on Jorgs friend list, you're not alone.

I think of all the things you could have chosen, catapults are one of the best!
Louis.

· Registered
1,867 Posts
Hello, I am young and don't mean to be rude, but do you know anything of Autism and Aspergers? you may find it interesting.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'm autistic and have many hobbies, my parents have always been very pratical and most of my friends, impractical; I only have trouble explaining myself when the person listening finds it hard to see past their own view of what they percieve the objects to be in the first place. In other words, when I started the martial arts at 16, my parents and friends thought it was a joke, when I took up Rubiks cubes a couple of years ago, everyone was impressed, I was in the top 10 cubers in the UK last year and I still study the martial arts after 12 years; none of my friends or family (save one or two) are interested in the martial arts, but they all think the cube is more impressive; I just cube for fun the martial arts is a whole ... art, for want of a better word. My point is, you know how practical and fun a catapult can be, so if you think it has enough potential to dedicate some time to, do it, others will see over time (unless they're like my family who still just don't get learning the martial arts) and do yourself a favour and think about moving out, if I can do it, almost everyone else can.
P.S. have a look at my subscriptions on my youtube page (wanderinggibbon) I'm on Jorgs friend list, you're not alone.

I think of all the things you could have chosen, catapults are one of the best!
Louis.
your message really impressed me
.....and yes, you are right...I am moving out next week
I hope it will be a great experience, as the job I found is not that great, but still...no one to bother me anymore

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.