Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since re-starting to shoot slingshots in September, I have worn my normal plastic-lens bifocals, which according to my optician, provide reasonable protection.

But I think that slingshot shooting is more dangerous, to myself, than the modern and reproduction pistol and rifle shooting that I have done in the past.

So from Specsavers UK I have ordered a pair of JCB steel-frame safety glasses for £124 ($156), which includes prescription bifocal polycarbonate lenses.

With these I shall feel a lot happier when I have got 25 inches of 4x-stretched Precise 0.7mm flatbands or 2050 latex tube pointing directly at my right eye.

But I shall still check my rubber and bindings every few shots, like I still check that my car's handbrake is off - from flying Chipmunks (the planes, not the mammals) in the 1950s-1960s.

Do you wear safety glasses?

Mike

·
Registered
243 Posts
No. I am wearing a normal glass already. I will feel uncomfortable if put an additional one.
I had the experience to break the cristal of a car with rebounded ammo. I personally think it is better not to be too confidence to shoot toward wall, ericted hard surface.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
I normally wear prescription glasses, but I should probably get some side clips for the frames at the very least. Or maybe wear contacts with safety glasses. On the off chance I am wearing contacts, I do throw some sort of protection on.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Nope, but I probably should.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
As an experienced shooter, a senior member of this forum (because I've been here a long time, not because I'm old...), and someone who used to have a semi-popular series of videos, I suppose I should say that I always wear safety glasses.
But I don't. I hate them, I never remember to have them handy, and I've never had a close call that would scare me in to wearing them. I also don't use a lanyard. And I don't wear a helmet when I ride a bicycle (but do on a motorbike ).
I've had many more close calls with eye injury whilst building slingshots, actually, so I do wear glasses for that.
So, no, I don't. You should though, I suppose.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
When I started shooting I was wearing every time, nowdays....no, I dont, and I dont because I can't wear both my prescription glasses and the safety glasses. To be honest, even though I dont have fork hits, even when I started shooting, I should probably wear safety glasses, but I cant lie.
I do wear my seat belt, helmet, etc, though.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I've seen some devastating accidents during my mountain bike "career" and was working as a fire-extinguisher repairman for some time. The latter also told some stories about unexpected events. Having a high awareness for safety, but I only wear safety glasses when using new items, like unknown rubber, new slingshot, unusual ammo. When I'm shooting my own common stuff I just wear prescription glasses. But I like to inspect my gear meticulously to be trusted. On the other hand I never pull to the eye directly. Only lift up bands when already stretched.

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
Nah, never. Safety eye wear is for timid, faint-hearted worry warts, and besides, they look so nerdy. Honestly, I'm immune from such things ... I lead a charmed life and never have freak accidents (like one member who managed to shoot Big Jim and the Twins). I really believe God designed us with two eyes so we'd have a backup in case something untoward happens. However, in the unlikely event of a slingshot mishap, I'm sure I'd look quite handsome and dashing wearing an eye patch.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts