Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's kinda funny. My wife has always been a home body and does not like to do much in the way of activities. She likes to mostly relax on the couch, talks to her friends on Facebook and watch television. I never really ask her to do much because she is just not the adventurist type that likes to try new things.
So when I started shooting slingshots, I didn't bother asking her if she would like to give it a try because it just has to be something she chooses to do.
Well, I have noticed that since I started shooting a couple months ago that once in a while she peers out the window to see how I am doing. I thought to myself, she is starting to take an interest like a little kid peeking around a corner at the cookie jar.
Well it finally happened this morning, she asked if she could give it a try. Hahaha This is amazing to me because it is so rare. Well, she took a few shots and missed the box entirely but she didn't do to bad because this is probably the first time she has ever held one.
I don't know if she will ever try again or if this was a one time occurrence but it's pretty cool she gave it a try. I need to get a lite pull set up that she can handle to try to entice her to try again. Hehehehe

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
955 Posts
My wife has 0% interest in shooting sports aside from occasionally trying a bow or slingshot. She is 100% supportive of the hobby though, and patiently listens while I explain the latest frame I'm working on or how the new Taurus frame is going to shoot. The eyes glaze over, she smiles and nods, and I think "This woman has got to love me." Then I monologue 15 more minutes about OTT configurations and pros v. cons with tubes and flatbands...

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife has 0% interest in shooting sports aside from occasionally trying a bow or slingshot. She is 100% supportive of the hobby though, and patiently listens while I explain the latest frame I'm working on or how the new Taurus frame is going to shoot. The eyes glaze over, she smiles and nods, and I think "This woman has got to love me." Then I monologue 15 more minutes about OTT configurations and pros v. cons with tubes and flatbands...
Hahaha, ain't that the truth. My wife will sit and listen to me ramble on and on about something when in reality all she here's is blah blah blah blah. Hahaha

·
aka CYBORG
1,997 Posts
My opinion is steeped in simplification and generalities.

We're talking about 2 different energies, and these distinctly different forces determine our physical forms and behaviors.

The male nature is projecting, aggressive, domineering, and generally strong. From our mythical past, we're hardwired to want to point and smite at a distance. We embrace competitions like football and fight sports, and often go to war with enthusiasm.

The female energy is accepting, nurturing, supportive, and generally more passive. Don't go Freudian - I'm not fixating on genitalia ... the different energies simply require different forms. Also, the lines are blurred by feminine men and masculine women, but that does't alter the basic premise.

So your woman isn't excited about launching projectiles? Really not much of a mystery considering the forces behind the forms.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
In the sack, we have the same interests but not hobbies. :naughty:

I like Bicycles, Canoes, Slingshots, Camping and Cross Country skiing. She doesn't have many hobbies but loves to Read, Garden and Travel . Sometimes I think it's good that we don't both love the same things, other times I wished we did.

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
I have been married to a wonderful woman for 58 years...it will be 59 next April Fool's Day. When we were younger we did a lot hiking, camping , cross country skiing and things like that but, she never got interested in firearms, archery or my most recent hobby, slingshots. I must say, she has never been able to get me interested in sewing or cooking either.

GP

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
Archery yes. Slingshots, not yet.

Mrs. Raja is a massage therapist and studies anatomy as a hobby. She is a fantastic archery form coach. We enjoy teaching archery together.

She is interested in slingshot ergonomics, but is not too keen on the limited color choices. "Why isn't that offered in purple?"
I have built many a purple slingshot...being that it is my wife's favorite color. Point her to my YouTube channel.

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
My wife has shot a slingshot a few times but never really took up the hobby. She does allow me to put a few of my favorite forks on the mantle and peddles my builds (especially when she gets to keep the money she makes on one). My son is the one taking interest.

That being said, my wife and daughter are the quality control department for BIGDH2000. :D :D :D They busy themselves with scrapbooking - something you will find my son and me avoiding.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
I have been married to a wonderful woman for 58 years...it will be 59 next April Fool's Day. When we were younger we did a lot hiking, camping , cross country skiing and things like that but, she never got interested in firearms, archery or my most recent hobby, slingshots. I must say, she has never been able to get me interested in sewing or cooking either.
GP
man I love bbq cooking and the women love a man that can cook I hate the stove but love open fire I am at home for outside cooking I cook u a steak second to none

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
My wife has tried shooting. She thought it was "okay". She does test hold my builds for me. My hands are desensitized. She recognizes it is a huge passion of mine and we keep that separate.

We both love kayaking, hiking, and camping.

She reads or knits and hangs with her friends for game nights...She occassionally invites me...on trivia night especially.

I do most of the cooking...and love it. She cooks occassionally and is good at it. But she has long hours.

She is happy to see me building & shooting.

She sometimes asks questions about the set ups or designs. I regale her with slingshot history and design featuree.

And she always asks how my slingshot friends are doing. But I think she is just checking to make sure I am still socializing. I have developed a "withdrawn" demeanor apparently...but I think I am just concentrating or contemplating of late.

If I make it to Ala. she wants to go...most likely to make sure y'all are real and not a cult.

I also love solo backpacking...she is no fan of it, so we work it out with check-ins to ease our anxiety and I take the dogs.

Our mutual interests we maintain with vigor & diligence- especially "couch time" and outdoor time which we call "hammock time".

I am fascinated by her knitting patterns and skills. And this year she has decided to start fishing.

And we will try a new pan fish fillet method I learned for boneless (I hope) and skin on.

Oh, we also do kali stick patterns sometimes. But she won't play..."Let me try this new technique" any more. And I won't play "spar" with her any more because she won't take it easy on me like my buddies...and My wife gave me a black eye is not as socially acceptable any more. hahaha...I still like it though. She may be afraid I will show up at her work that way and "embellish " the scenario.

Her favorite slingshot is DSL and a Drew Bilbrey build. The natties...icons of mischief.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts