Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lazy about cutting flatbands, I like conservation and I like my flatbands to last a long time.

So when I am not using them, my catapults and rubber are wrapped in brown paper inside black plastic bags and stored in a fridge.

I only use Precise 3G 0.7mm and I cut it for 4.75x stretch, assuming that this will lengthen its lifetime. I know it shoots faster at 5.0x to 5.5x stretch . . . . I have a Dankung chronograph.

But does anyone really know by how much flatband lifetime is reduced by this longer stretching?

That's it - just one simple question, about one specific rubber. :)

Have a nice day, y'all.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thank you for your replies.

I guess that the manufacturer knows the answer, from his laboratory testing.

I don't shoot enough, in terms of ammo consumption, to try to answer my own question, but I could compare speeds for the same setup at various stretch lengths and see where the gain from longer stretching becomes insignificant, and then back off a bit.

I guess that many shooters have done this already.

I guess I'll probably finish up at around the received wisdom, around 5x stretch.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I haven't used the. 7 precise but do use the .75 at 5.5 x stretch and find it lasts a good 600/700 shots with 9.5mm steel cut at 22/15, I have tried using it with a longer active but find I lose accuracy having a (loose) anchor as opposed to having the (solid) anchor if that makes sense
Thanks, that is very helpful.

.75, 22/15 at 5.5x stretch must need a very heavy draw weight.

I need 10.7 lb draw weight for Precise 0.7, 18/14, 181 active length at 4.67x stretch. 181 mm at 4.67x gives me an "archery" stance, forearm horizontal, floating anchor about 4" behind the ear. May return to fixed anchor. Have gone further with longer active length to semi-butterfly, forearm vertical, but I don't think that that is for me.

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
The draw weight is around 14lb which is OK for me for around 25/30 shots before accuracy drops, I've played around with tapers and different bands,. 75 cut 19/10 is very fast but band life is poor with bigger tapers, I enjoy experimenting with bands and tapers and using 8mm and 9.5mm, sumeike. 55 with 8mm is my favourite, sobong taichi. 7 with 9.5mm produces good speed but band life is poor in comparison, it's all good fun experimenting, as for storing the bands, I keep them in a plastic freezer bag with a dusting of talc

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The draw weight is around 14lb which is OK for me for around 25/30 shots before accuracy drops, I've played around with tapers and different bands,. 75 cut 19/10 is very fast but band life is poor with bigger tapers, I enjoy experimenting with bands and tapers and using 8mm and 9.5mm, sumeike. 55 with 8mm is my favourite, sobong taichi. 7 with 9.5mm produces good speed but band life is poor in comparison, it's all good fun experimenting, as for storing the bands, I keep them in a plastic freezer bag with a dusting of talc
Thanks, that is helpful, I am experimenting with various stretch factors at the moment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't used the. 7 precise but do use the .75 at 5.5 x stretch and find it lasts a good 600/700 shots with 9.5mm steel cut at 22/15, I have tried using it with a longer active but find I lose accuracy having a (loose) anchor as opposed to having the (solid) anchor if that makes sense
i discovered myself that using long bands i loose accuracy while with short and streched bands i am much more accurate.

i also have the 0.75 mm precise that i cut 15/10 cm max, otherwise i begin having joints pain. you must have big muscles to be able to use the 22/15 0.75 bands!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.