Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going out to the barn to get the mower my labs (Charlie and Tank) went into hound mode and found these guys trying to dig under the barn. As the pups chased them they ran to the roof of my barn.

I typically carry 8mm steel and .38 lead with me, of course all I had in my pocket was 3 8mm steels. I’ve hunted lots with this setup before, but always squirrels and pigeons and grouse. Well, safe to say a shot behind the eye did the job nicely. Both shots entered the skull for a quick clean kill. I don’t recommend hunting trash pandas with a sling, but I have a real problem with these guys in my property and they can make a mess of dogs. And my dogs wouldn’t stop fighting them till one gave up. Moral of the story is……8mm steel and .5 butterfly bands can be devastating, be careful and shoot straight!
Plant Plant community Green Botany Organism

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
my father used to tell me racoons will kill a dog,and he was right,almost,tore up one my pits,to the tune of almost 400 dollars at the vet,i didnt shoot it i beat it to death with a shovel,just for reference princess was 80 lbs-rescued fighting dog-racoon was about 30-35 lbs,i kill them whenever i see them,good shooting with the small steels (y)(y)(y)

·
Master of Swine Fu
3,631 Posts
Going out to the barn to get the mower my labs (Charlie and Tank) went into hound mode and found these guys trying to dig under the barn. As the pups chased them they ran to the roof of my barn.

I typically carry 8mm steel and .38 lead with me, of course all I had in my pocket was 3 8mm steels. I’ve hunted lots with this setup before, but always squirrels and pigeons and grouse. Well, safe to say a shot behind the eye did the job nicely. Both shots entered the skull for a quick clean kill. I don’t recommend hunting trash pandas with a sling, but I have a real problem with these guys in my property and they can make a mess of dogs. And my dogs wouldn’t stop fighting them till one gave up. Moral of the story is……8mm steel and .5 butterfly bands can be devastating, be careful and shoot straight! View attachment 371331
dropped 'em like toilet seats. well placed shots.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts

I typically carry 8mm steel and .38 lead with me, of course all I had in my pocket was 3 8mm steels. I’ve hunted lots with this setup before, but always squirrels and pigeons and grouse. Well, safe to say a shot behind the eye did the job nicely. Both shots entered the skull for a quick clean kill. I don’t recommend hunting trash pandas with a sling, but I have a real problem with these guys in my property and they can make a mess of dogs. And my dogs wouldn’t stop fighting them till one gave up. Moral of the story is……8mm steel and .5 butterfly bands can be devastating, be careful and shoot straight! View attachment 371331
Clean shot Shane. Good one.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, nice shooting!!!

Would not guess that 0.5 latex and 8mm steel would take down raccoons so cleanly. Granted these look young but I’ve seen larger ones take a .22 and run away… (just to clarify, that was not a head shot).

I guess butterfly is one of the important details here… 🤔
The speeds of butterfly and modern elastic has definitely changed the sling game. Raccoons are tough, I’ve shot about 30 this spring (12 gauge and .22) you are correct in that these guys are still small, about 10 to 12 pounds I would say. I have taken full size raccoons with a sling, but using heavier butter bands and 1/2” lead. I’m not sure how this setup would do on those, but seeing how easily these 8mm entered the skull I wouldn’t be surprised anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my father used to tell me racoons will kill a dog,and he was right,almost,tore up one my pits,to the tune of almost 400 dollars at the vet,i didnt shoot it i beat it to death with a shovel,just for reference princess was 80 lbs-rescued fighting dog-racoon was about 30-35 lbs,i kill them whenever i see them,good shooting with the small steels (y)(y)(y)
Thanks brother! Yes, they can definitely mess up a dog unfortunately. A family friend of ours lost his dog a few years ago. He had a black lab named (woof) he cornered one in the barn and before he could get there the raccoon flipped on his back and clawed the belly out of the poor dog. There vicious little creatures.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome shot placement ! I love me some 8mm steel action. The penetration with my .6 bands makes me think if I ever go back to 9,5 or 11mm steel.. leaves no room for mistakes but so far all I've hit in the center was dead before it hit the ground. Good Hunting (y):cool:
The key to small ammo is well placed shots as you said, but with the speeds of modern elastics it’s incredible what it will do!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Awesome mate! good hunting💪🏼💪🏼🎯🚀

Two days ago I shot a squirrel with 8mm steel and bsb white .50 and short draw. 18/12 taper.

I don't know exactly where I hit it, but the squirrel fell from the branch at once, into a huge area of brambles. I couldn't get in to retrieve it, a pity.

I thought I wasn't going to take her down since I heard that squirrels are tough and need at least 3/8 ball, but the 8mm steel knocked her down instantly, and with short draw.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Island made brilliant buddy 👊🎯👍 I scream light setups are the business all the time buddy this is a prime example of it. Have you tried 8.7mm steels yet Iove them.
I’ve always shot heavy, and I’ve been going lighter as bigger ammo is hard to come by here in Canada for a decent price. I’m pleasantly surprised with the 8mm

1 - 20 of 50 Posts