Slingshots Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Nice shootn Shane. Keep at it you’ve almost got me convinced 🤣.
They are one of the most destructive animals on the planet. I got a couple of adults afew weeks back. I hear ya, there’s no end to em. Here anyway, they just keep coming!
Haha, you don’t get the “thump” you do with the heavy stuff, but the speed and penetration is remarkable

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Good shooting. They are fair game when they are in your barn!
Can't beat accurate shooting. Accuracy trumps power any day.
But actual penetration? That is good. Have had .22 LR shots bounce off their skulls.......
Yup, there tough creatures for sure! But a 8mm steel close to 400 fps right behind the eye penetrates the skull nicely.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Awesome mate! good hunting💪🏼💪🏼🎯🚀

Two days ago I shot a squirrel with 8mm steel and bsb white .50 and short draw. 18/12 taper.

I don't know exactly where I hit it, but the squirrel fell from the branch at once, into a huge area of brambles. I couldn't get in to retrieve it, a pity.

I thought I wasn't going to take her down since I heard that squirrels are tough and need at least 3/8 ball, but the 8mm steel knocked her down instantly, and with short draw.
I’ve always said small steel for feathers and big lead for fur (squirrels) but as I’m shooting 8mm more and more I’ve been taking squirrels with it no problem. My brother in law took a porcupine last month with 8mm and short draw.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I looked a few weeks ago and 500 9.5 was like 120 bucks lol. I got 1500 8mm for 26 bucks, that wasn’t bad.
That's crazy prices on the 9.5mm eh here's the prices we get over here 🎯👊🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👌👍

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
I’ve always said small steel for feathers and big lead for fur (squirrels) but as I’m shooting 8mm more and more I’ve been taking squirrels with it no problem. My brother in law took a porcupine last month with 8mm and short draw.
One quick question mate: what its your favourite ammo size for targeting or can shooting?

Recently I started using 7mm steel balls that I had unused because they seemed too small. I'm liking them a lot for target and cans. Good straight flight.

I suppose that they will also serve to hunt birds such as pigeons and similar, but I have not tried.

Greetings🎯

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
One quick question mate: what its your favourite ammo size for targeting or can shooting?

Recently I started using 7mm steel balls that I had unused because they seemed too small. I'm liking them a lot for target and cans. Good straight flight.

I suppose that they will also serve to hunt birds such as pigeons and similar, but I have not tried.

Greetings🎯
I don’t shoot smaller than 8mm as the long draw bands over power light ammo easily. Also, I primarily target shoot into a catch box so I always reuse my ammo. I like to practice with the same ammo and setup that I will be hunting with.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

Greetings🎯
(RIGHT BEFORE ANYONE READS THIS 🎯THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE PERSONLY OR THAT IT'S JUST A THING THAT I OFTEN PONDER 👊💙👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👌🎯)

Is there a reason why people don't use the same setups for everything 🤷🤯🎯 I mean a 200m runner doesn't practice at only 50m wearing sandals then only do 200m on the day .they practice everytime at 200m wearing running shoes cause that's the best way to perfect your game 🤔🎯. So if your hunting with 9.5mm or 8mm steels for instance coupled with the correct bands does it not make sense to use them for spinners, cans, and hunting so your constantly perfecting your shooting aiming and consistency 👊💙👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👌🎯

·
Registered
824 Posts
I don’t shoot smaller than 8mm as the long draw bands over power light ammo easily. Also, I primarily target shoot into a catch box so I always reuse my ammo. I like to practice with the same ammo and setup that I will be hunting with.
Okey thanks mate, I like to hear the people preferences 👍🏼👍🏼

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
🤣🎯💙👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👌 Man I was writing the below comment when you had wrote this 💙🎯👊 I'm glad there's others like me then 🤣🎯👊👌

·
Registered
824 Posts
(RIGHT BEFORE ANYONE READS THIS 🎯THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE PERSONLY OR THAT IT'S JUST A THING THAT I OFTEN PONDER 👊💙👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👌🎯)

Is there a reason why people don't use the same setups for everything 🤷🤯🎯 I mean a 200m runner doesn't practice at only 50m wearing sandals then only do 200m on the day .they practice everytime at 200m wearing running shoes cause that's the best way to perfect your game 🤔🎯. So if your hunting with 9.5mm or 8mm steels for instance coupled with the correct bands does it not make sense to use them for spinners, cans, and hunting so your constantly perfecting your shooting aiming and consistency 👊💙👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👌🎯
yes, the ideal is to practice with the same thing that you are going to use when you go hunting.

I have only occasionally "hunted" with a slingshot, 95% of the time I only shoot targets or cans.

In my case, I am currently trying different sizes of balls since I had only tried 3/8 and 8mm steel. These days I'm using a lot of 7mm steel (I'm also still using 8) and I'm really liking it.

I don't think I will shoot anything smaller than 7mm, although I also said that about 8mm lol.

greetings mate🎯🚀🏄🕵🤠

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
my hunting slings all share the same bands,widths,AL's and ammo,except one-[TTF uses lead 36 cal]-targets or game.
Now my "fun "slings are varied depending on where they will be shot and at what-[clay,marbles,steel,etc] for when i am out walking the river or woods,or taking the dogs for a walk

·
Registered
824 Posts
I really think you shouldn't underestimate small ammo and light bands.

Few days ago I killed a good sized rat with 7mm steel (I didn't have bigger ammo), Precise .45 bands (im loving this bands) and short draw. Impact in the neck area. Clean kill.

I don't know the exact distance because the rat was down on some rocks in the harbor.

In any case, surely you should use larger ammunition to guarantee a death as clean as possible.

But don't underestimate 7mm steel either lol.

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,748 Posts
Umm, looks like somebunny needs a replacement band...

Great shooting!

THWACK!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I really think you shouldn't underestimate small ammo and light bands.

Few days ago I killed a good sized rat with 7mm steel (I didn't have bigger ammo), Precise .45 bands (im loving this bands) and short draw. Impact in the neck area. Clean kill.

I don't know the exact distance because the rat was down on some rocks in the harbor.

In any case, surely you should use larger ammunition to guarantee a death as clean as possible.

But don't underestimate 7mm steel either lol.
I have a setup the same as the one you are describing. Well almost.. .45 precise/ short-draw/ but 10mm clayballs instead (which are almost same weight as 7mm steel @ 1.4g or 1.5g.)
I usually use it to get rid of cockroaches or when there is a house lizard infestation.
But I've also used it to dispatch a rat or two with a headshot. And also took out 2 pigeons with a head and another a neck shot. I agree they work, and yes this setup is easier to be more accurate with. But only head or upper-neckshots work thou'.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts