Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a little free time and turned out two frames real quickly over the weekend.

The first is a natural fork I cut off a downed tree. I think it's pear, but I'm not 100% sure (my arbor knowledge is veeery limited). I've never made a natty before, so I didn't try much except get the bark off. Took a rasp to it and went up to 320 grit sandpaper, then added a couple coats of Tung Oil to seal it up.

The other is a red oak boardcut. If you recognize the shape, it's because it's UrbanShooter's Gherkin Gapper template. I'll say to anyone interested, it's a fun little frame to make and shoot. I did a crap job of finishing (I honestly forgot how to over the winter and left off a couple steps), but it's sanded and sealed and shoots! I've mounted some single 1632 tubes on tabs in order to shoot 1/4" steel. I've been intrigued by the concept of small frames with light ammo, and this was a good foray into the field. It shoots really well and is very comfortable in my large hands. I would definitely recommend it if anyone's interested in trying a small frame.

Thanks for looking and happy slinging to you all!

Attachments

·
Ray Rowden
2,710 Posts
Looks like a good weekend's work!

The finish on the oak looks fine in this photo. But if it doesn't grow on you, it's easy to sand it down and refinish it.

The tabs look good. You might think about leaving the tag end of the tubes extending down - toward the slingshot - instead of up in your sight line with future setups. I'm sure it makes no difference to performance, but it reduces the distraction for me.

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that what is called"gypsy tabs"?
Yes! They go by several names. I believe that those of actual Roma heritage find the term "gypsy" to be insulting. Similar to the term Eskimo vs. Inuit. I usually just say tabs to keep from offending anyone. You can say gypsy tabs or Roma tabs as well. It's an international forum but I don't know any Roma's, so I don't know how they feel about it personally. Better safe than sorry I guess.

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like a good weekend's work!

The finish on the oak looks fine in this photo. But if it doesn't grow on you, it's easy to sand it down and refinish it.

The tabs look good. You might think about leaving the tag end of the tubes extending down - toward the slingshot - instead of up in your sight line with future setups. I'm sure it makes no difference to performance, but it reduces the distraction for me.
Ah, good thinking! I didn't even notice. It didn't seem to bother me, but I do like to leave my frames as clean looking as possible for vanity's sake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts