Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dealing with a bad elbow I am interested in differeence between the two sets, but I rfearly don't whant to open another discusssion on effectiveness of both.
What I am asking to who had experience is wich, between Gold, Silver or Black Thera folded doubled meet the force-pull needed to full draw an eight strands set 2040.
For the limited experience I have had with flats I may believe drawintg any the Thera is more confortable, more omogeneous pull, but I cannot immagine the effort.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guten Tag Melchior, many many thanks for the info, the perfect answer at my quest. What do You think if I go for silver or black flat Thera: can I maintain some hunting capability and relief some stress to my elbow? I use to shot 10/10 self loading lead balls (nearly 9 mm diameter) wich gave me with 8 strand 2040 an axceptional flat traiectory and good speed and penetrating power. Seldom i shot some 12 mm (44cal) self moulded balls.

·
Registered
258 Posts
See, tapered flatbands have a remarkably good draw weight / power output relation. The means you can use bands with significantly less pull force.
Thinner bands (black/silver) improves the performance a bit, at the cost of band life. But even Gold Theraband will allow you to use band sets with
less drawing weight.

I'm not a hunter myself, but know a number of very competent enthusiasts who bring home their meat with bands that are a good deal below the drawing
weight of an 8-string 2040. The correct choice of ammunition is much more important (and your 9m lead ball is a good choice).

It depends on distance and quarry, but a bandset made of Theraband Gold with double bands tapering from 2cm to 1.5cm are considered adequate for anything
up to rabbits when used with well-sized lead balls.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I agree smitty's opinion. For the shooters want very smooth pull, The 4 string 1842 is best choice.

Or the single(2 string) tapered golden theraband flatband is very smooth too.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'll give a tray to gold, at the moment I whent back shooting 4 strabds 1745 wich is more confortable.
I also realized that what rearly hurts my elbow is not the drawing movement but the ricocet of the fork in the hand "after" the shoot. So probabuy I am holding it too steady for the strong 2040 8 strands combo. This mae be also another reason to overwrap dankungs handles with some soft thick tape or rubbers as shown in plentyu videos. Less necessary for whoodent forks wich are naturally seld dumped. Until now I have been shooting pure dankungs and milbro. Lesson learned.
Just my two cents of wondering, but if confirmed by some of the more skilled members (or may be Jorge with his knowlege on both argoument) it may helpes some new shooters to avoid same mistake.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I agree totally that flats are much smoother shooting...if...the proper ammo weight and band strength is chosen. If the ratio is out of balance, watch out for terrible pain from band slap on your poor old fingers.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Im really confused here at my local fitness centre they sell exercise falt bands with the colours yellow, red, blue and green. Yellow being the weakest and green super tough. I have no idea which to get that will give me enough power to take down rats, squirrels etc. Im affraid the greens will be too tough to pull, will double blues have sufficient power( more than enough energy to kill with body shots) I need power thanks.
Or to simplyfy it what thickness in milimeters an exercise flatband should I get. Thanks very much. -Joseph-

·
Registered
470 Posts
XF1065; Blue; 0.65mm/.0256"; 4.5kg
XF1050; Red; 0.50mm/.0197"; 3.5kg
XF1035; Yellow; 0.35mm/.0138"; 2.5kg

So it's around 1/2 a milimeter in thickness, but half a mm is so thin. How about bands 1mm or more in thickness. The fitness store sell those here, do you think those are any good or are they too thick. Btw nice apple candy slingshot sure made me drool.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
If they are thicker, they'll be narrower. They'll theoretically be slower, but no so much that you'd notice it much.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks melchior, 4-1740 is what I am shooting at the moment. I largely agree that no top power is rearly needed for enjoing catapults, but i confess I am now damned "addict" to the straight fly of a bullet (9mm lead) given by 8 set of 2040. It menas I need a period of detoxing
. Btw did any one realized an open loop (like dankungs) with a metal rod fork? I wonder if it mae work or if flats whont ship in the correc position under drow like instead tubing does?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts