Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a lot of talent on the forum. I am quite sure we have some (if not all) of the very best makers in the world on board. Surely we can come up with a project to mark the first anniversary of the forum.

Even if it doesn't get made, it'd be great to hear what aspects of the slingshot that people think the top 4 or 5 makers would each contribute to the ultimate slingshot of the year.

Who does what the best? Hmmm, I think I'll have to do some thinking about this...

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great idea Dan, What is the dynamic?
That's not even tabled yet. It would be nice to incorporate many people's talents.

That might be a starship, or a fork, but a natural is still possible.

You'd certainly be the man for a natural project, for your crook and fork shaping.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I think this is a great idea and i would love to help. Maybe a official anniversary slingshot that could be made for very little and the profits go to Aaron to keep this great site up and running.

Reactions: PJB21

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Interesting idea.

Yesterday I read an article mentioning that a number of forum members collaborated on a modification of a Nimblewell stove (firebox?) and the modified design is in production and sold as Woodland Edge Firebox, Woodland Edge Firebox.

You never know what could come of this collaboration.

·
Registered
519 Posts
maybe have an annavesry
frame cast up in solid brass, aluminium and bronze.
and make a limited number of them with the slingshot forum symbol and number of the frame?
i think its goo tell me what you think.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think we have plans to make a production slingshot. We have many vendors and to give the production to one would exclude the others.

This thread is mostly about saying what you admire in other people's work. Who's the best at any given part of the process?

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I don't think we have plans to make a production slingshot. We have many vendors and to give the production to one would exclude the others.

This thread is mostly about saying what you admire in other people's work. Who's the best at any given part of the process?
Hummm, a Slingshot version of "We are the world?"
How did they do it?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well how about a FREE design that has been designed by the best, that anyone could make themselves ?

·
Banned
6,287 Posts
Throwing my 2c into the discussion.

How about a teams event ?
  • People group up in teams of three.
  • Each team is required to give their team a cool name
  • Teams are to elect a single spokesperson for their team for the purpose of voting
  • Each team is to develop 3 slingshots: A natural, a board cut and, um, help me out with a third, metal frame perhaps, maybe a 'hardware store special?
  • Designs can be a collaborative effort between the team members or each team member can be responsible for one design each
  • Entries must contain several pictures of each creation as well as a brief description detailing the thought process and objective behind each design
  • All participants then vote or rather rate each teams entries on a 1 to 10 scale
  • Voting to be open for say, 10 days
  • Teams are not allowed to vote for their own entries
  • Results are tallied
  • The team with the highest average score are crowned 'The Dream Team' and win the the admiration of all as well as bragging rights on the forums
  • The winning entries are donated to the forums and are put up in a silent auction, all proceeds going to running costs of the forums
  • There is much rejoicing !
How does this sound ?

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Go ahead and start a thread to announce a competition. It could be tough though. The hardest parts will be finding compatible teams and splitting the work. Let's say you teamed Chepo with Xidoo and Martin. Who'd do what and where would they each draw the line?

Here's some dream team ideas that are an easier match:

For a slingshot bow; boyntonstu for design, Jörg for welded construction and me for machining parts, carving the stock and bands.

For a vertical shooter, Dayhiker for configuration, Bill Hays for production and Tex-shooter for bands.

We could have national teams too. Germany would be a contender (Jörg, Torsten etc), USA (Tex, Bill H, Perry), Hong Kong (me and my engraver buddy and danny), the Philippines too. (Louis to come up with a design and mr.joel responsible for production).

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
As much as I like the idea, I have to say that I do not plan to participate. I am not a very good team builder, in fact what I enjoy when I am in my workshop is that I can totally focus on my work and don't have to communicate etc. - got enough of that in my daily job. You may call it escapism if you want.

That does not mean that The Slingshot Channel won't report about the contest! That part I will do with pleasure.

Jörg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.