Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,671 Posts
Got back last night from the "Shoot" in PA. Man,it was awesome! The winner of the 2010 Tournament was Jim Harris from Kentucky. He won by one point over Jaybird. Great shooting from both of these guys. It also must be said that Jim had an operation on his pouch holding thumb after last years shoot. He had to learn a whole new way of holding(between index finger and middle finger) because of the operation. He put a lot of time in shooting and it showed. Excellent job Jim! Great turnout,excellent job done by Jaybird,Patty,Huey and the whole crew from the Club setting up and also feeding this hungry group (thanks Doug and Amy!)
. We also cannot say enough about Ray Priest of Slingshots USA. He donated a ton of prizes,a bunch of Slingshots for a special shoot and also a $100 bill for the winner( Jim Poorbaugh a great local guy from down the road)- besides a bunch of accessories-WOW! Thanks to Tom of Bunnybuster also for donating a few of his beauties for prizes and also a special electronic target that he made that we dubbed "The Polio Squirrel) from being hit so much by everyone! Everytime you hit the thing it went off with the Tarzan yell! We also put a hurtin on that Sawblade with the .22 blank-thing looked like a Mushroom after we finished with it! We must have quadrupled (at least) the amount of people we had last year. It was so cool to meet Joerg(great and warm personality) and see and hold his wonderful Slingshots. They are awesome. Besides Joerg coming al the way from Germany,we had Ray from Georgia, Alex from Connecticut, Dan from Michigan, Jim from Kentucky,Bob and a group from W.VA. Jack from Wisconsin-Whew! All these people came to this little town to enjoy their sport with others like them. It wa so cool to see other people like yourself dead tired, hungry, thirsty but yet still shooting their slingshots on and on and on...... We dubbed Alex,(who I think came in 4th) "The Gunslinger" no one was a faster shot -and accurate too! We had a few local families show up and shoot too. Jack was doing some book signings for his wonderful book "Slingshot Shooting", we had a junk pile of old glasses and dinnerware that we put up as targets -we had a blast with busting those things up-typical boys that never will grow up-hope not! All in all a great time by all. It was really nice to put faces on the names I've met on the forums.Already can't wait till next year. I took a few videos-should have taken more-oh well. Click on the link below. The link is the first video and then there are 3 more more on the channel that I took. I think Joerg took some more and he's a a lot better with video then me, so hopefully we covered a lot of the event. Thanks everyone! Flatband

http://www.youtube.com/user/Flatband#p/u/4/eK_WudZSG7E

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Hi Flatband ,
I just watched your videos on you tube and the tournament looks like it was a great time !! Now I wish more that I could have been there ! LOL

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Great Vids Flatband thanks for including those of us who couldn't come (maybe next year) looks like a heck of a good time...

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Gary. It was a pleasure meeting Dave, Ray, Alex, Joerg, Jack, Jeff and I can remember some faces, but not names. Next year this tournament is going to be even bigger. Jay and Patty have poured their heart and soul into promoting this tourny, and I along with everyone else really do appreciate everything they've done. Eddie and myself had a great time, even when we went out to dinner Saturday night. For those who couldn't make it...try your best to come next year and bring someone with you. You won't regret it.

Friday I was shooting at home and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I was nervous. I do believe in sophmore slumps
. I decided to use my trusty Osage Leather and Lace shooter, and I was able to put together enough good shots I suppose. Jay and I were back and forth on the sheets. He took one target, then I took the next. No doubt Jay would've won if he wasn't running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. To be able to shoot as well as he did, while at the same time trying to keep the program running smooth was impressive to say the least. I probably would've came unglued. We definately kept each other honest.

I'm going to make a prediction that next year the competition will be fierce. I was really impressed with Alex, Jeff, and Eddie. Alex has a supperb release and technique. It's obvious he is really committed and most importantly having fun shooting slingshots. I didn't get to see Jeff shoot all that much but his score and 3rd place finish speaks for itself. Eddie is a friend of mine and has shot as well, or better than me at times when we shoot together. We all know Jay is going to be tough. Count the shooters who showed up shooting for the first time, who may return next year, and you see what I mean. 2011 is going to be a barn burner.

It was great to make new friends, and re-aquaint with those I met last year. Just being able to shoot the breeze and talk slingshots was great. Shooting in the tourny is the icing on the cake. Bill, I hope you're able to make it next year. We did speak of you often, and wished you were there with us. Thanks to everyone for coming and I already look forward to seeing you all again next year...if not sooner.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Ray...I didn't mean to leave you out. You are an awesome shooter as well. Keep doing what you're doing, and hone your skills. You'll be a contender next year, I know you will
. I'm going to cherish this win, as cheezy as it sounds, because with the talent that was present, as well as those who were unable to attend, they are going to be hard to come by in the future.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Ray...I didn't mean to leave you out. You are an awesome shooter as well. Keep doing what you're doing, and hone your skills. You'll be a contender next year, I know you will
. I'm going to cherish this win, as cheezy as it sounds, because with the talent that was present, as well as those who were unable to attend, they are going to be hard to come by in the future.
Thanks for saying that Jim it wan't necessary. I wish you didn't even think you would need to reply. Like I said you worded what you did well and accurate. Even if it crossed my mind that I was left out, I have pretty thick skin.

I have some new insights and especially heightened desire to hone my accuracy. Being able to watch everybody's different style especially the methodicalness of you better shooters was absolutely one of the great parts of being there.

Too, I know what you mean by some of the new guys like Jeff and Eddie as good as they are so quickly, and if Alex has time and continued interest, PHEW!!

I was impressed with Jay. I think it was Dave that said with all the running around he did he showed his mature composure and why he is as good as he is.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Sounds like it way really great!!!! Hopefully next year I'll get to attend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.