Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
[quote name='pelleteer' date='05 February 2010 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1265400881' post='3325']
Thanks, p4v.
I actually would rather have put some tung oil or something on it, so it didn't turn so dark, but the walnut oil is the only thing I have on hand at the moment. I had a bottle of tung oil, but when I went to use it it was all congealed and not much use.

I just purchased one of those ebay cheapies and hope to do the same to it as you did. Don't know if it will turn out as nice but looking forward to trying my best.

Don

· Registered
45 Posts
Well, I got my ebay cheapy today and I have to say I am giddy. First off, its not made of oak like Pelleteer's but some sort of soft wood like pine so I'm a little concerned about durability. Anyway, I shot it a few times with the junky bands it came with and was impressed with its accuracy. Not wanting to keep those bands I replaced them with a set I got for my bunnybuster. I had to open the fork slots with sand paper to fit the new bands but that only took a few minutes. I have a five yard range set up in my cellar that I use to shoot at small targets. Man, can that el-cheapo shoot! I'm nailin my targets with 80% accuracy no problem. Sorry Bunny Buster but it out shoots even you. That cheap sling is the best $6 Ive ever spent.

Don

· Registered
45 Posts
Yep, there are a couple models of cheapie available at eBay. It sounds like you got the more common one which is available from several sellers. I wondered what sort of wood they were. The one I got no longer shows up when I search for "wooden slingshot" or "wood slingshot" (like it did when I bought mine), but I dug around and found they are still available. They are only available from one particular seller. I don't know what Aaron's view is, but most forums don't allow direct eBay links in the public areas of the forum, so I'll PM you a direct link to the one I got, in case you still want to try one out.
Thanks Pelleteer, just bought one of the oak slings. Hope it shoots as well as the one I got today.

· Registered
45 Posts
Sounds good, Don.

Flat, the frame is a full 3/4" thick. There's only 1-11/16" between prongs (total width of fork is 3.25"), so I thought fork hits might be a problem, but I shoot it flip style with no troubles.
Pelleteer,

Got the oak cheapie you PM'd me about and turned it into a flipper as you did and it is just as accurate if not more so then the other cheapie I got from ebay. I tried to use it as it came but it was just too erratic so I cut off the groove ends of the fork and sanded the ends, grooved the forks and attatched the bands it came with flip style. It shoots great though I don't care for the pouch leather much. I'll keep the finish natural for now and maybe stain and poly it later when I feel more ambitious. Thanks for the heads up on that sling it has brought a new enthusiasm to my shooting.

Don

· Registered
45 Posts
Glad to hear you're pleased with it, Don. These really do provide a very solid framework for a custom flip. I love mine too. I'm still thinking of picking up one or two more to work on in the near future. You can't beat the price for a nice hardwood frame.
Ok, I should learn to leave well enough alone. I decided that the bands on my cheapie flip were too long and I wasn't getting enough zip so I shortened them and retied them being careful that everything was even. My accuracy went to ****. So I decided to put a band set on that was better quality, still very erratic shooting. Tell me what you think I should do. I was thinking of getting some latex bands from Bill Herriman. Good idea? I can guess Bill will think so. BTW Bill I have a brother that lives in Kerrville.

Don

· Registered
45 Posts
Hmmm...I'm not sure what's happening in this case. I mean,obviously when you shorten or lengthen, or in any other way change the speed of your bands, you get a different trajectory, but that typically only affects your elevation. Your windage should still be pretty much the same. The thing is, that's pretty easy to adjust to after a few shots, once you know how much higher or lower you're shooting with a specific band setup. I don't know why a change of bands would cause the shots to become erratic though.
I took the double latex bands off of my Saunders Hawk and put them on the ebay flip and accuracy impoved greatly. I guess an easier pulling band set is what works best for this particular sling. May order some more double latex bands from Bill or from saunders.

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.