Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the first, second and third place trophies for this year's champions.

I offered to make them this year and spent considerable time trying to come up with the perfect trophy. Well, here is the story of how they came to be...

Jaybird gifted myself, and several others last year, with some osage orange lumber from his private stash. I have been carefully using every piece of this board and many folks around the world now have a bit of Jaybird in their slingshots. As such, I had to make sure that the trophies utilized the osage.

And what good is a trophy if it is only going to sit on a shelf to be admired. Why not have an award that is, in and of itself a badge of honor, tool, and piece of art all in one. So I knew for a long while that the trophies must consist of a slingshot of some sort that could be used.... but which slingshot??

The Chalice! The Chalice by Dayhiker has turned on countless new enthusiasts in the last year and the shape alone seems trophy-like enough...

Not having enough osage to create all three slingshots from, I decided to pay tribute to the hardwoods of the Eastern united states and the bioregions from which most participants of the tournament reside.

All of the woods used in creating the trophies were reclaimed lumber, with some in excess of 120 years old and all from barns and homes located on the east coast.

The core of the slingshot and the bases are black cherry. The particular pieces which were used were exceptionally tight grained heart wood, providing a beautiful fleck. The next two layers adjacent the cherry core are American Chestnut, the once most common tree in the Appalachian mountain range but now fundamentally extinct due to a blight that kills trees before they can mature. This chestnut came from a barn in Western North Carolina that was built around 1880, so the these timbers likely came from trees growing during the American Revolution. The chestnut will continue to darken with age and displays a very pronounced grain with a few worm holes. Finally the face of the slingshots are made from Black Walnut, another common wood in the Appalachian mountains and one of my very favorite woods to use. This wood was reclaimed from a home built in 1916 in upstate South Carolina.

Of course, the Osage orange from Jaybird adorns each trophy.

I really enjoyed building these trophies and look forward to shaking their new owner's hands.

See you all at the shoot

Nathan

(Sorry about the poor picture quality, having some issues with my camera recently)

·
Super Moderator
6,547 Posts
They are awesome Nathan! Very nicely done by the Master! Flatband

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Nathan, i have to say this is very impressive, the thought you put into the production and materials is more than commendable. they are beautiful! you are a true asset to the sport.

·
Banned
276 Posts
Is there going to be anything on it that says it's from the tournament? If not, everyone's going to ask me why I have a slingshot on my shelf with the roman numeral 1 on it. haha....Great job as usual Nathan. Look forward to meeting you!

·
~Pouch Maker~
15,472 Posts
Wow, wonderful Nathan!

Hope you'll bring back the larger trophy when you come back home from ECST.

·
Philly
2,595 Posts
Beautiful Nathan, I'd love to bring one home.
Philly

·
HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
8,259 Posts
i love the symbolism behind the trophies, makes them very special . excellent tribute .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts