Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually shoot in the evenings my "range" faces east. typically when I start shooting sun is still shining bright on my back but it goes down behind the trees during my shooting session. I've noticed that my point of impact seems to drop when the light goes down. Fairly significantly. In bright light I am holding my reference point about 2" below my point of impact. Once the light drops I have to hold dead center in the spinner (so about two inches higher).

Has anyone else experienced this? I know that light conditions can effect your aim vs impact when shooting with iron sights on a rifle but wasn't sure if that translates to slingshots. I suppose it could be temperature related as well, Maybe a combination of both? Also there is the fatigue factor so maybe I'm not getting a full draw after shooting a while. So many variables....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Temperature will have an effect on bands. If the temperature drop is enough as the sun goes down you will lose some speed. How much temperature drop is it?

Maybe the longer you shoot your hand, eye and brain work together to bring your aiming reference and point of impact together. I personally always have my aiming reference on the center of the target.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll bring out my thermometer today and check what the actual drop of is. The more I think about it I suspect this is the cause. It was 100 yesterday so I bet there was a significant drop after the sun started going down.

I hadn't considered that it might be a subconscious adjustment. That would be pretty cool if that turns out to be the case haha. I will say my first shot hit percentage is getting better. So I do think I'm starting to account for factors a little more instinctively.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I usually shoot in the evenings my "range" faces east. typically when I start shooting sun is still shining bright on my back but it goes down behind the trees during my shooting session. I've noticed that my point of impact seems to drop when the light goes down. Fairly significantly. In bright light I am holding my reference point about 2" below my point of impact. Once the light drops I have to hold dead center in the spinner (so about two inches higher).

Has anyone else experienced this? I know that light conditions can effect your aim vs impact when shooting with iron sights on a rifle but wasn't sure if that translates to slingshots. I suppose it could be temperature related as well, Maybe a combination of both? Also there is the fatigue factor so maybe I'm not getting a full draw after shooting a while. So many variables....

If your using completely natural rubber bands they will be effected more than the chemically treated variants during large temp changes, keep the bands wrapped up in your hands whilst mooching then they can retain a better balance as and when you come to take the shot.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I got out and shot this morning to try and control more variables. Good light, no fatigue, so only real change was temperature. It was about 78 degrees which is 15-20 degrees cooler than when I've been starting shooting in the evening and as cool if not cooler than when I notice the drop in POI in the evening. I did have a slight shift in POI maybe an inch or so. So I think the temperature does play a role but isn't the whole story.

I think it's a combo between shortened draw and temperature drop. I noticed after I shoot for a long time my draw gets shorter by an inch or so because I don't maintain my posture as well. I did some intentional short draws and that actually caused a noticeable drop. Ive been shooting 3/8 at pretty low velocity with a band that's better suited for 5/16. So I think that a little difference in band length has a pretty big change on velocity. Well That's my theory anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.