Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to credit the following:
MakoPat for taking me up on a Co-Op build.
Winnie for exposing me to Canvas Micarta.
MattW and M.J. for bring me back to simple.
Simple Shot for the Dead Ringer. I shoot my Modi-Dead Ringer after I shoot anything else 'cause I get weak from pulling!!

Then one day I wished to The Forum for a One-of-a-king Custom Dead Ringer but Bigger and Fatter!! Shazam and MakoPat looks at my template, squared it up and genied the dang 'core' right to me!

So! I saw what I wanted in my mind and came so, so close to a home run! A stand-up triple if you ask me and also depending on how close you look!

The Ingredients:
MakoPat Big Phatty Core.
Lanyard Bead from MexiStratBeater Gitt.
Canvas Micarta from eBay.
Walnut Scale from Gramps and Dads Parker SideBySide butt stock. (I've use that wood for a few projects. Funny how it smells like sweat from my Dad when I saw into it.)
Brass Rod for pins.
BrassbTube for Lanyard Hole.
Dremel Tool to etch the Walnut scale.
Epoxy, Sandpaper, BLO, and Orange Oil and Cursing.
Mostly files and sandpaper up until I put a flap sanding wheel on my HFT cheapo 6" grinding wheel. A buffing wheel on the other side brought the shine.

What Else??? Thanks for the inspiration looking too!

Mojave Mo
4c477ce4fe7794a2e8ed9a6ba0062804.jpg
9a56acf25854012777a5ec7c90efab92.jpg
42882a44b32a4b8a2b1396ae5cb62f44.jpg
73c5968b19403e55f04b1e30be3c39ed.jpg
903f2b8668e75de89bf7466016eab156.jpg
f6c938b5ffde2634e83b0b1619687621.jpg
a11f4551b18d17bb9fbc750016152d80.jpg
c0f455d33fd4d71d29e1ca62f7185394.jpg
0cefe2e3347fe622cb3dac28fd6bfa99.jpg
d7e15df981b8e53d5b63d4605b30ca64.jpg
0b3f9695ad8cd85a78252cbe7350f37f.jpg
25cd40b792d227ddc92ab3751985593b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks y'all and pardon the typo's, my hand were cramped from all that nibblin'......!

I am going to weigh it later because it has a curios weight to it. More than you'd want, but it feels just right.

I got wrapped up in my concern with tubes or flats in both and decided on tubes via my Dead Ringer and MattW and MJ straightened that out for me.

Make a note that IF you can get a MakoPat Core they come in a rough file finish after he cuts them out of a blank with a pair if old toenail clippers. You will spend quality time with a MakoPat Core to make sure it is just right. I had to remove very little material off if this 3/8" chunk of balltleship ALU.

Under the heel if the Walnut scale is a little bamboo plug. That spot was the back of the butt stock where the butt plate screwed into the stock. My Pops or Gramps must have put that in when the upgraded the butt plate. I was going to cover that, but then wanted to see it there.

Mostly hand tools and sanding. I pulled out the Dremel when I couldn't get the scale texture like I saw it, and then a buffing pad on the grinding wheel to shine up that ALU. Funny enough, too shiny for me, but I still like it!
2d1aa52ddd16c8f6ebb6dd6bf5fe5240.jpg

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mo - you are making some nice stuff. Thats cool.
Thanks Matt! The Big Deal for me is this Forum. It wasn't about the excellent and generous tips. It is about the help and support of what NOT to do when making your own sling! Such satisfaction.....and it shoots too!!

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has a wholesome rock solid indestructible vibe ...makes me wonder if you might let out the involuntary grunt when you grip it!

...and this would be the perfect slingshot for ramming bad guys's faces!
Urban you CAN feel it. I was thinking about volcanic rock when carving the Walnut scale. It feels as beefy as it looks!

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That looks like a super tough and comfortable little shooter! Great work!
Big comments SlingDude. I'm still thinking about your Altoid OccuShooter. Outside the box is where I live. Everytime I enter the googleverse to look at slings I am stunned and the simple and clean engineering.

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FINE CRAFTSMANSHIP
Thanks Crypter for the props! Hand tools and eyeballin' worked out this time. It is my first sling-from-scratch. Halfway through and said it would be my last, maybe not. That and I can't get Old Westerns out of my imagination. I can see the OK Corral with slings taking out teeth and the occasional eyeball.......maybe having a shot of whiskey after the battle?

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
M. Mo, you did great! What I sent you... was not any where near as great as what you made.

I dig that walnut story, too. That is truly heritage and history of the most personal nature... in short... old wood is good bones.

Nibblin' used to be easier.

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
M. Mo, you did great! What I sent you... was not any where near as great as what you made.

I dig that walnut story, too. That is truly heritage and history of the most personal nature... in short... old wood is good bones.

Nibblin' used to be easier.
Back at you Mako. Somehow it shoots straight too! Lanyard placement is the key I think. If I relax my fingers under tension the lanyard binds against my wrist like a wrist rocket would. Not a revolution I'm sure, just some Paracord!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts