Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here is my prototype of an idea i've had for some time. I call it the Element. The core is 6061 T6 aluminum, laminated between two thin layers of carbon fiber, with wood on the outside. I wanted to design a construction that was bullet-proof, but had a good cosmetic look, like a well made knife handle. The core ensures added safety, as well as extra weight for less recoil. The core also ensures perfect alignment of the forks.

The final product will have a slight pattern enhancement, brass pins will be added, as well as a landyard. I wasn't too concerned about the finish of the pictured prototype. It was basically a test build to see how the three elements would mend, and what I will have to do differently for the ones I make in the future.

I will be offering these for sale in a wide variety of woods in a month or so, with the core remaining the same. They will be in the $80.00 range.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Extreme cool for a great price! I totally love it !

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PS: is there an advance book?
I will be having 10 - 12 aluminum plates cut at a time. Then I will assemble and finish. I will inform here on the forum as to what type of wood will be used on that peticular batch. When one is finished, I will post it here on the forum for sale.

·
Super Moderator
6,511 Posts
Hey,that works Jim! Looks very professional. Good luck with them Bud! Flatband

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Jim, That's a marvelous look and design idea!!! Wish I'd thought of it myself!!!! Definitely an upper level product that collectors and serious shooters will want. I know you will do well selling them!!!
All the best,
Perry

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Well now, you went and did it and it is knock down gorgeous. Congratulations Jim!!! -- Tex

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really appreciate the support. I learned alot with making this one. Like I mentioned above, the finish on this one is a tad rough, and I didn't sand out all of the burn marks and such. It was a trial run with something new. I will be numbering each unit as well. Since the core is the strength of the slingshot, I will have options cosmetically.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I like this a lot and I am sure you will sell as many as you care to make.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Fish. The one pictured is already promised to the machinest.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Jim, I just showed the guys at work your slingshot and idea for it and we all just think it is the most awesome way we have ever seen to make a lifetime slingshot that still has the warmth and beauty of a wooden shooter. I think in many ways it is even prettier than a totally wooden slingshot. Your concept is inspiring !!!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts