Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Which is better for fork caps and butt caps...wood glue or two part epoxy?
I've never tried this before...not even sure how to pin them, but have a few ideas on what I would do...
I'm more concerned with the fork tip end caps...for safety reasons obviously..

Anyone have any good links to help a guy out?

Sent from my B3-A40 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
657 Posts
For wood to wood joints I use regular wood glue. For any joints of dissimilar materials epoxy works best. I personally haven't used G-flex but I've heard it's great.

As far as pinning goes, I've always just left the cap oversized until after it is glued on, just in case it doesn't quite line up.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
What MIsling said. Wood glue for wood to wood and epoxy for multi-material.

Epoxy will still work on wood to wood of course but wood glue imo has the advantage of resulting in a less prominent lamination line partly because you would want the surfaces being mated to be well flat. The advantage of epoxy would be to fill any spaces or voids in case of uneven mating surfaces. Some would say that the weakness of wood glue is that it doesn't stand up very well to moisture but that is easily sorted by using Titebond II or III.

Also, I think it is easier to clean up wood glue squeeze out by just picking the beads off once it gets waxy. Epoxy is messier and there is always some residue that needs to be sanded away. Having said that, either would work just fine and it comes down to personal preference of which you would rather use, I think... YMMV.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What MIsling said. Wood glue for wood to wood and epoxy for multi-material.

Epoxy will still work on wood to wood of course but wood glue imo has the advantage of resulting in a less prominent lamination line partly because you would want the surfaces being mated to be well flat. The advantage of epoxy would be to fill any spaces or voids in case of uneven mating surfaces. Some would say that the weakness of wood glue is that it doesn't stand up very well to moisture but that is easily sorted by using Titebond II or III.

Also, I think it is easier to clean up wood glue squeeze out by just picking the beads off once it gets waxy. Epoxy is messier and there is always some residue that needs to be sanded away. Having said that, either would work just fine and it comes down to personal preference of which you would rather use, I think... YMMV.
All I have is Gorilla wood glue...should I toss it and buy the other stuff you mentioned?

Reactions: Tag

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
MW - if your doing wood to wood - Cascamite wood glue is amazing if you can get it. Its a powder you mix till a creamy consistency. But any waterproof PVA type will work fine. I'd also pin the cap internally (hidden) with a dowel etc. just so its essentially mortised and not a plain butt going. I'd do this regardless of materials or glue.

If its various materials like Devils son in Law uses then I'd go epoxy but do key the surfaces for a good bond.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Like what Matt said... Gorilla wood glue is good stuff too. It is an alternative to Titebond. I went through a similar questioning process trying to decide what to pick up from the hardware store and what I understand from wodworker's sources is that Gorilla glue performs well too. I think it'll be fine for a butt cap that isn't subject to much stress or wet/marine environments, especially if you pin it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Like what Matt said... Gorilla wood glue is good stuff too. It is an alternative to Titebond. I went through a similar questioning process trying to decide what to pick up from the hardware store and what I understand from wodworker's sources is that Gorilla glue performs well too. I think it'll be fine for a butt cap that isn't subject to much stress or wet/marine environments, especially if you pin it.
Would you suggest it (Gorilla) for fork tip caps if they are well pinned?

Reactions: woodbark

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Would you suggest it (Gorilla) for fork tip caps if they are well pinned?

I'd have trouble trusting forktip caps regardless of glue even if pinned but that's just me. Maybe I am paranoid about having a part fly back at my face? I have not done it before myself so I really can't be sure if it'll be okay... The thing about anything jointed is that they always seem okay until you start to stress the joint and when they fail it can be sudden and catastrophic.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but could someone please post a photo of a capped fork/frame !
Check the first post in this thread: https://slingshotforum.com/topic/41774-mini-hawthorn-holstered/?hl=%2Bcapped+%2Bforks the images are a capped butt piece.

Caps are artistic extensions of the fork limbs or handle tail. Hopefully also structural as well as artistic.

Capping a butt piece is less worrisome to those who do worry about breakage at the worst possible moment. Some fear that capped fork are dangerous. Their reasoning should be obvious. I have not got an informed opinion if capping forks properly really is dangerous.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks Ridge Runner :thumbsup:

So nothing mysterious. it is primarily a cosmetic/artistic embellishment .... but could be dual purposed in some cases as a reinforcement for fork tips

I can see the possibilities in adding an artistic/functional tip out a metallic (brass, alum, SS etc.) or CF etc. which would be more durable and workable than wood .... provided of course, it is set properly into the frame incl. pinning & whipping etc.)

In such a case, I would definitely want to use Epoxy or Construction glue.

Guess what I'm will be experimenting on in the Spring :hmm:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I guess it can be functional in cases where the base material has good features at the fork but fails to follow through in the right configuration on the limbs or tail. Adding an extension and calling it a cap is comon. Perhaps the terminology is actually correct or perhaps just common misapplication/usage of the term. Certainly adding an over structure casement like a cup shaped metal or nylon as I have on my bow limbs can also be considered a cap. I even consider the silicon, rubber or plastic caps under the tubes on a commercial wire frame slingshot to be caps. Often I think caps are added entirely to achieve aesthetic artistic objectives even when incorporating them adds difficulty to the build and fails to increase function or durability when compared to simpler build options. I do agree they are endearing in their artistic appeal.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Everyone already covered it... but my short answer is...

I like wood glue for wood to wood and for anything I epoxy on I use a slow cure epoxy. It is much stronger than fast epoxy, but you will need to make sure you have good clamping pressure the whole time.

And as also already mentioned I like a center pin of some sort of metal. All thread really allows epoxy to get a good hold.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for everyones input and advice...im really enjoying building shooters and i want to step up my game...but safety is most important

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
BTW, if you really want to put something at the forks you could always use a tip accent or spacer? I dunno what you might call it but it is basically just a veneering piece at the fork for some contrast and possibly even reinforcement? I am sorry can't seem to find any picture references when I need it... I think that would be totally safe rather than relying on an added on tip.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My version of end capping This is a little plinker I made a while back out of a piece of engineered hardwood flooring quite strong stuff with a nice solid ring to it.

Anyway, not sure why, but for some reason, the tips ended up too short for any kind of band attachment so Instead of tossing it into the scrap I decided to add extensions to the tips to try and make it into something.

The funny thing is; At the time I did the little extensions, I did not know they were called "End Caps" which is why I asked if someone could post a photo of what end caps looked like :bonk:

Note to MikmaqWarrior:- I used LePage Carpenter's Glue ..... Of course, this slingshot will never be used for any heavy duty shooting. As you can see, it is rigged with light skinny bands any only good for shooting my Garbanzo beans and maybe plastic beads.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.