Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

after the trip to Alverton, I was eager to make another slingshot today.

I found a store where you can buy - fairly inexpensively - small wood blocks ment for pens. Some of them looked really cool, so I ordered a bunch of them.

Made a slingshot, in my favourite Compass design. But I used rosewood for the forks, amaranth and birds eye maple for the grip parts and birch for the bottom part. Came out great! No stain, no laquer, just polish.

I used bronze as the joints, and of course I put in a metal heart. It came out great!

Here you can see some of the raw wood pieces.

Here is the "skeleton"! I glued the parts together, but I do not trust glue very much so I secured everything with 3mm steel nails that keep the steel rods firmly in place.

This is a beautiful slingshot! Will finalize the polish job tomorrow and then do a video.

I actually think this may be my prettiest slingshot so far, I like it more than the Phoenix.

Regards

Jörg

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Now that is wild!!! -- Tex

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
another amazing creation.

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,622 Posts
Joerg
Nice job.
Wood and metal make for a very strong slingshot.
I`m a sucker for beautiful wood, and the rosewood is real pretty. I think now, I will have to get some more, and make a couple laminates with it. I like laminates because they too are very strong, and still, light enough to carry concealed, in your pocket.
It was great to meet you at the Pa. tournament. We sure had some fun.
Next year I am going to make a rabbit for my electronic target. I am going to make it out of 1/2 inch stainless steel. The squirrel took a beating, but I was happy that the trigger mechanism held up just fine

Later
Tom

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Joerg,

This, of course, is a beautiful piece of work, reminiscent of how navigation instruments were made back in the 1800's, precise and very functional works of art and engineering. But I feel compelled to say that, as nice as this one is -- and it's VERY nice -- I don't think it beats the simple elegance and marriage of form and function that is your all-time best: THE PHOENIX

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This slingshot was a ton of work. Normally a wooden cattie is quicker to make than a metal one, but in this case I made a metal slingshot AND THEN I added the wood.

It is kind of hard to make these wooden tubes from the small pen blocks. First I drilled holes in both ends of the block, screwed in a short screw into one end and then I put the whole thing into the lathe, with the screw head clamped into the lathe's rotating vise. Then I turned the block into a round rof of the desired diameter (16mm). Next, I drilled a hole through the round rod.

The effect is worth it, I think!

I also like the weight of the two bronze disks at the bottom of the slingshot, it really steadies the shooting hand.

Regards

Jörg

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I think Dayhiker's got a point. This is innovative, unique, well finished, robust and utilises the beauty of gorgeous burlwoods, but at heart, I miss the rugged simpicity of your all metal bent and welded steel bar creations, particularly the non-rotating designs like the Compass which were super simple and looked to be completely bullet-proof; the Terminator of all slingshots. They may not have been as technically excellent as the swivellers, or clad in ironwood, but they left me completely in awe!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, my slingshot mind is always swinging. Currently I am exploring the "beauty" side, but I am sure the that I will eventually swing to other frontiers soon.

My best slingshot is still the 3rd gen "W". Super strong, self centering, accurate and robust.

I shot the steel "compass" for most of the tournament, a great target shooter. But when I hit with the "W", the impact was really remarkable - even though I did not bring my 19mm lead ammo.

Jörg

·
Super Moderator
6,539 Posts
AWESOME AND BEAUTIFUL! The "Tinker Toy" or "Wooden Soldier" Slingshot. Those two things came to mind when I saw your creation Joerg. You have to love the Exotic wood Metal Mix-so cool! Flatband

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is what I did with the last of the bronze and rosewood:

Made the penholder for my wife, she is in medical school and has to study all day long. May this little item sweeten her daily learning chores.

Regards

Jörg

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Though not a "toy" it does have that "tinker toy" look to it.

But Oh SO MUCH PRETTIER!!!! Nice Job Joerg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts