Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I go ahead and get myself a big piece of marble, I wanted to test the material. How to work with it, how it laminates, how it polishes, the works.

So I made a very simple little shooter from a broken marble tile a friend gave me.

It works!

Very hard to polish, though. I mean the sandpaper works very easily, but the kind of glass like shine the tile originally had isn't achievable, I am probably doing something wrong. Any tipps?

The pine cone frame design works well, by the way. If I only get a thin board like this one, the handle is a lot more comfortable that way.

Regards

Jörg

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
Before I go ahead and get myself a big piece of marble, I wanted to test the material. How to work with it, how it laminates, how it polishes, the works.

So I made a very simple little shooter from a broken marble tile a friend gave me.

It works!

Very hard to polish, though. I mean the sandpaper works very easily, but the kind of glass like shine the tile originally had isn't achievable, I am probably doing something wrong. Any tipps?

The pine cone frame design works well, by the way. If I only get a thin board like this one, the handle is a lot more comfortable that way.

Regards

Jörg
Nice, it appears pretty smooth to me. Is marble not a suitable material for an entire from?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice, it appears pretty smooth to me. Is marble not a suitable material for an entire from?
I would guess that it is because marble is much less likely to crack on a fork hit, and instead it will catastrophically fail, which, in lament terms, leaves no margin for a fork hit. Wood most of the time will dent, splinter or crack upon a fork hit, which the shooter (hopefully!) sees and will not shoot the slingshot again. In contrast marble is probably more likely to catastrophically break upon a sudden impact. But then again im definitely not an expert

And thats looking great jorg! I'm not sure if this is right or not, most likely not, but to polish marble it has to go through some sort of chemical/mineral process. AGAIN, im no expert, im just inputting my 2 cents

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've gotten cotton rag wheels for a bench grinder that came with " jeweler's rouge" in white and red (about the size of a stick of butter), but have never had the chance to use them, I bet that's what they use to polish such material???

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
I like it , Joerg. How's the weight of that material?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
marble has a crystalline structure with veins of impurities (that stuff that gives it the really neat look) which makes it prone to fractures not something I would make the entire frame out of unless it is re-enforced somehow..

Very classy fork...

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
This is one of your best looking slingshots, IMO.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finished it today.

BTW, it also has an "ugly side", as you can see in the picture. The marble tile was not thick enough for a good hole in the middle, so I used a flat iron that I laminated into a grove I cut in with the angle grinder.

This makes the frame very solid.

I am letting this one go! It is now officially a price for the Slingshot Of The Month (July).

Greetings

Jörg

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts