Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear fellow forum members,
I would like to thank ZDP-189 ( Dan) for the opportunity to test one of his latest creations. Recently thru conversations here Dan offered to make me a camoflage version of his laminate T1 slingshot pattern. I am fascinated by this method of fabrication by don't know how to do it. Well, long story short, Dan made me a camo version of his T1 and sent it to me. When I recieved it in the mail I was so excited I had a hard time making it home without opening it up. But when I got home it was like a kid on christmas morning.My first thought when I saw it was......ok........looks like a slingshot , is lighter than my other slingshots, a clean simple design, then I read the information sheet that came with it and said ok , let's put this puppy to the test !!
The first thing that came to mind was please , please , PLEASE no fork hits
Well after shooting for a little while ( 2 1/2 hours latter !) I found myself wanting more
This slingshot design is a sleek, lightweight, Powerful, Fast, Machine that rides like a luxurious automobile but handles like a custom tuned race car ! I normally shoot bans that have a draw weight of 9 - 11 lbs. , Dan had a set of double blue bands that have a draw weight of 15.5 lbs. This is a bit higher than I normally shoot but much,much faster ( I don't have a crony to test speed) and yet it was not hardly any harder to draw , I think because of how well the fork fits my hand and I'm picky about that. All in all this design gets a big
from this wisconsin slingshooter ! I just got done cleaning up my shot ( I shoot 3/8" steel balls) and so far , I have 267 balls through this slingshot and all is well ! Now, if I could just figure out why I keep hearing
(
shoot me , shoot me )

Mythical creature Textile Toy Snake Scaled reptile Footwear Brown Sandal Wood Pattern
Once again, Thank you Dan. It is an honor to be able to meet people like you and to share this experiance with every one here. Come on everyone, give Dan a round of applause or maybe a pat on the back

More to come as I get to do more shooting
-Scott

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Very nice work Scotty! Just don't drop it in the woods on a fall day!
Flatband

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prior to shooting this slingshot I have been a fan of gold THERA BAND bands but this slingshot came with blue flatbands that are doubled and this thing shoots FAST !!! I have learned now to shoot fast, shoot lighter weight flatbands that are doubbled ! Dan has put soo much work and thought into this design . When I go shooting I carry the slingshot and ammo in an M60 ammo bandoleer ( Army OD of course ) and you hardly even know it's there !

-Scott

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice catapult mate
. I too have some blue theraband and love it.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Scott, I'm glad you like it. I enjoyed making it for you and the tutorial that accompanied it was well received.

Sorry about my rather OTT disclaimer letter. It's a big CYA exercise to prevent myself getting sued in case someone loses an eye or something. All my slingshots sent out will have it from now on. The letter also gave me an opportunity to explain how to shoot it for best results and it sounds as if you have figured it out!

The T1 (e.g. The Candy Apple) was designed from basic concept as an everyman's slingshot; something that I could make to demonstrate several plastics that could be applied to board-cut designs. It had to be easy on the eye and look a bit like a semi-traditional Y-fork and be usable by both right handed people and lefties. At the same time, I had learned a lot about what does and doesn't work from the forum and my experiments. The shootability was engineered into it. I combined low forks to reduce torque, high fork fingers for control, lower finger purchase for flipability, a big palm pad for comfort and an offset and asymetric handle to rotate the fork arm elbow out a bit for better biomechanics. Your canvas frame is also very grippy and thick enough that the tops provide a nice fat and rounded transition are from the fork bindings to the bands. I think I gave you blue bands, which are between Thera-band Gold and Silver. That will handle fairly heavy shot yet shoot fast and accurately with smaller ammo. Let me know if you want some of my red band - a target shooting strength if this one's too much of a heavy draw.

The intentionally imposed design limitations hold the T1 back though. It couldn't be too odd looking, too custom fitted and it had to be a plain flat board-cut. My carved ergonomic handles, The Shootist and Black Silk beat the pants off the T1 in power handling and accuracy. The radical steel frames like The Core and The Heretic come a very close second because they give up very little in fit, biomechanics, or strength.

I am curious, having never scaled up a design from my small sized hand to an XL before, what does it look like in your hand?

Thanks!

Dan

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
P.S. jephroux, yours is going in the post tomorrow!

PPS. Scott, fork hits are not a problem for the slingshot - your fingers are protecting the fork.
. Seriously, if you damage it, I have a spare in the same fabric now in heavy lacquer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts