Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

One of my beautifully made Chinese stainless steel slingshots, in the so-called "Alashan" model category, has rather narrow fork tips when it comes to attaching flat bands, because of the difficulty of finding a suitable way of holding the fork tips, and pressing down simultaneously on the flat band ends for a tight wrap & tuck attachment.

I found that creating a simple hand held clamp-type of device with ergonomic finger positions greatly facilitates the wrap & tuck process, as it lets you find a comfortable way of holding the each fork tip with the index finger and thumb without anything slipping away - which can easily happen with some of the Chinese-made slingshots and slippery metal.

It also works works for thicker bodied slingshots (choose the right clamp screw length), and should also be useful for asymmetric slingshot frames. You may have to flip the slingshot inside the device for optimal access to each fork tip while proceeding with wrap & tuck: not a big deal.

The device itself consists of two parallel strips of beech wood (pinewood should also be OK) with external finger grooves, and has 1 mm thick leather to cover the inner clamp surfaces to avoid scratches on inserted slingshots. The screws at both ends of the strips are tightened with the fingers using knurled nuts once the slingshot has been inserted between the clamps, and a weak coil spring helps to separate and open the clamps when the device is in its unused closed state.

Dimensions:

Total device length = 23 cm (covers most needs)

Wood thickness = 20 mm

Length & diameter of the clamp separation screws = 6 cm (8 cm should cover all needs), 5 mm diameter.

The "flat band attachment assistant", as I have labelled it in my images, is very simple to make, and greatly facilitates attaching flat bands to certain slingshot frames where adequate holding is an issue.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
I like this, Pebble Shooter! I use my little Hobby vise with the articulating head but I can this being quite a handy versatile aid for holding pieces for shaping etc. and could even be held in a vise if needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts