Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
My friend Eddie and I were discussing having a tournament this summer. He belongs to a Sportsmans Club, and on Tuesday night he addressed the club at their meeting about having a tournament. Some concerns were brought up and they haven't said no. They want to hear from me, a week from this coming Tuesday. If they allow us to hold the tournament, it will be September 11th.

The reason for posting this now, is to get an idea as to who would be interested in attending. The tournament location would be in Ryland Heights, KY. The club has a super nice facility, with a skeet range and a rifle range. There is a large pond, and woods that surround the skeet range. We already have a good deal of ideas running in our heads, but I'll need to make a good presentation to the club committee first.

So again, a possible tournament to be held in Ryland Heights, KY. on the weekend of September 11th, pending the decision to allow us to hold the tournament. We had so much fun in Alverton last weekend, we feel we must step up to the plate to hold another. I feel we've created some great friendships, and it's really hard to think that it would be another year before we see one another again. I will keep everyone posted. Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
6,511 Posts
Oh yeah Bud! On this one I may have to fly but there's a first time for everything! I've done 11 hour drives before but I think flying would be better. Now to convince the wife! She'll be a wreck with me having never flown before. We'll see! Let's see what happens! Flatband

·
Registered
88 Posts
Im there! Ill pick up Harry, Jeff, Jim and Ray on the way south.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Hey Jim,

I had such a good time at Alverton another chance to get together with like minded people would be great.

This drive time would be 1/2 of the one to Alverton.

Today an urge to come up with another target to shoot at that is fun came over me. Hopefully I will come up with one that can take the beating of all the hits. And if it dies early, who cares as long as it was fun while it lasted, right? Unless, you have a specific amount of space or certain requirement(s).

Ray

·
Super Moderator
6,511 Posts
Ray, wanted to ask you-how long did it take to get home from PA? (A real pleasure meeting you too BTW!) Flatband

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Breaking glass at the Sportsmans Club will not be an option. This place is a very well kept club, with a nice, big, clean cut lawn. However, I see no problem at this point being able to shoot at pop cans and fun targets (noise makers). But let's don't put the carriage before the horse. I'm going to address the club on tuesday night, and hopefully they allow us to have the tourny. I'll have an update late Tuesday night, or Wednesday afternoon.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok...after talking to a couple different people, I approached our County Parks department about having the tourny at a local, county park. They have given me permission, but want me to carry a liability policy. I have began filling out an application for a quote. The location would be Lincoln Ridge Park in Independence, KY. This is a mile from my home, as the crow flies, and is on the same property where I work. The park is really nice and we would have a shelter and soccer field for the weekend. There is also a nature walking trail in the woods, where I hope to be able to have silouette targets. The silouette course is an issue to still be ironed out, as far as safety to the general public that may be walking the trail. There is also a Frisbee Golf Course at this park, that is one of the best in the country from what I hear.

The Parks Department thought so much of it, that they asked me to come to one of the other county parks, to do a demo at one of their "Wild Wednesdays", where they bring in zoo animals, bow shooters and those sort of thngs. I really didn't think they would go for it because of the ordinance against weapons and firearms. But so far, things are sounded pretty good.

The two weekends that are open at this point are either August 7th weekend, or October 9th weekend. I have reserved both weekends for now, but will cancel one. Personally, I would like to have the October weekend. The weather won't be brutal hot. There are plenty of restraunts within 5 minutes, and hotels within 10 minutes.

I will keep you posted.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Sounds great! -- Tex

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just heard back from the Parks director. August 7th and 8th are reserved for the tournament. They are checking to see if Oct 10th is available, but it looks as if it may be reserved for soccer. Providing we get the liability insurance, the tournament will be held . The location is Lincoln Ridge Park in Independence, KY. I will confirm the dates in the next couple of days, but as of now, it will be August 7th and 8th. I will have a flyer once we confirm.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After meditating on this today, I'm going to cancel the August date. If the October 10th date is available, I'll schedule that date. August is a bit too soon, and chances are pretty good that it would be very hot during that time. If the October date is not available, we will put a bid in early, for a date next year. I don't mean to go back and forth on this, but I want the tournament to be right in every way.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
After meditating on this today, I'm going to cancel the August date. If the October 10th date is available, I'll schedule that date. August is a bit too soon, and chances are pretty good that it would be very hot during that time. If the October date is not available, we will put a bid in early, for a date next year. I don't mean to go back and forth on this, but I want the tournament to be right in every way.
Hey Jim,

I will admit, I was also feeling August was too soon. If October works great, if not, like you so generously offered to try again in the next year, that will be fine too.

Thanks for your time and effort Jim.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The October date is not available, so I will plan a weekend for next year. I look at it this way, we will have a tournament at one of the finest parks in the area. Some of the folks I work with, said the Parks Dept would never allow a slingshot tournament. Well, not only are they going to alow it, but they are excited about it.

I'm going to start a weekly, or bi-weekly program in the parks with slingshots, to promote the hobby/sport. This should boost the turnout for next year's event.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I got a reply back from the director of the Parks and Recreation. He said scheduling an event for next year in Sept or Oct should not be a problem, but I need to let him know asap. I'm assuming October...I'll wait to receive some input from everyone here.

·
Super Moderator
6,511 Posts
October is great Jim, but then anytime I can draw rubber is fine by me. I do like the cooler months though. Your parks dept guys are a great bunch by the sound of it. Must be great to live in the real U.S.! Flatband

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
The date is set for 2011...October 7th, 8th and 9th. It will be held at Lincoln Ridge Park, 420 Independence Station Rd., Independence, KY 41051. I will have flyers at the Alverton Tournament next year. This gives us ample time to put alot of ideas together to have a spectacular event.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Sounds great Jim, I hope thet I can come -- Tex

1 - 20 of 28 Posts