Mahogany25.13%
Birds Eye Mapple12.56%
Gabon Ebony12.56%
Purple Heart37.69%
Other615.38%

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
I checked Maple, but there is hard and soft Maple and they are quite different. I don't care fotr the soft. You can get Birdseye in the soft maple as wellas the hard. -- Tex-Shooter

·
Registered
108 Posts
i personally really like bamboo, though technically its a laminate, its got a very nice finish and is a very strong material.

since it wasnt on the list i picked oak, a decent piece of oak can create a naturally beautiful slingshot while still being quite tough

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
Love, good, hard Curly Maple with tons of figure!!! Flatband

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
For a curly wood I like Red Oak. It seems to have a richer and deeper glow that Curly Maple. -- Tex-Shooter

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
Oh yeah Red Oak Curl-another good one! Flatband

·
Registered
108 Posts
when you say curly wood is that the same as a wood burl? because they have some beautiful textures. also some of the rather exotic woods have a beautiful textures, but they tend to be really rather expensive...

·
Banned
341 Posts
I picked Purple Heart. I took a piece and anchored it in my vice with about 6inches sticking up. Stepped of 20 paces, and began to pummel the board with as many shots as I felt reasonable, probably about 20. It took the dents, but I could not find a fracture in the wood For me it's Purle Heart. I also use Angelum Pedra. It also has a tremendous ability to take a fork hit without fracture....Frogman

·
scooter trash
403 Posts
multiplex! the next solid wood I try will be hickory, unless I can get a hold of some live oak. 3/4" ash split after 2 fork hits, so I'm kinda scared of solid wood now, until I get my technique down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.