Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am new at making my own SS's I was wondering what woods some of you veterans like to work with and why. If you can give my some of the pros and cons of the woods of choice that would be great.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
wood is wood, thats hard to answer, if you want a proper-safe sling than you need good hard wood or quality plywoodm your question is too general and open to opinions that might be good for you.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
i like red oak and cherry for boardcuts. but honestly i like whatever is available. I would suggest going to a nearby mill and asking for scraps/end cuts to perhaps try some new/different woods.

·
Philly
2,595 Posts
Bamboo cutting boards, finish beautiful and bullet proof to boot.
Philly

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
wood is wood
Dude, that's like saying all beers are the same, a comment which would get you shot in my country.

If you are up for a bit of reading, here is a link to an excellent publication on the mechanical properties of wood. Even if you do not wish to get into the technical side of things, the tables in it give you an excellent tool to compare the strengths of most commonly found timbers.

http://www.woodweb.com/Resources/wood_eng_handbook/Ch04.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I totally agree with Jim, purple heart is really nice to work with but stinks...

Yew is a treat to work with, natural Ash also.

My favourite has to be ebony, its a PITA but responds to shaping so well

·
Registered
57 Posts
wood is wood
Dude, that's like saying all beers are the same, a comment which would get you shot in my country.

If you are up for a bit of reading, here is a link to an excellent publication on the mechanical properties of wood. Even if you do not wish to get into the technical side of things, the tables in it give you an excellent tool to compare the strengths of most commonly found timbers.

http://www.woodweb.c...ndbook/Ch04.pdf
[/quote]

Well said that man!
Wood is far from just wood. I almost chocked when I read that....

There are a wide range of properties available. Once you know your stuff and have worked with a wide range of woods in a wide range of applications you srealize just how different woods can be.
I would suggest that woods with heavily interlocking grain are what you want for SS's. SS's cut from boards violate the grain heavily and thus weaken it considerably compared to un-cut fibers. Woods like hickory,elm,hornbeam,ekki,white oak (not the normal red) etc would be top of my list. Hickory will withstand more fiber violation than just about any wood in the world and I haven't seen one SS made from it yet!

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Hickory will withstand more fiber violation than just about any wood in the world and I haven't seen one SS made from it yet!
if you get some, keep me a piece for an axe handle

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
wood is wood

[/quote]

Well said that man!
Wood is far from just wood. I almost chocked when I read that....

There are a wide range of properties available. Once you know your stuff and have worked with a wide range of woods in a wide range of applications you srealize just how different woods can be.
I would suggest that woods with heavily interlocking grain are what you want for SS's. SS's cut from boards violate the grain heavily and thus weaken it considerably compared to un-cut fibers. Woods like hickory,elm,hornbeam,ekki,white oak (not the normal red) etc would be top of my list. Hickory will withstand more fiber violation than just about any wood in the world and I haven't seen one SS made from it yet!
[/quote]

I've also have been waiting for a hickory sling. I was under the impression that, that was all Rufus Hussy used, but as the wife likes to point out whenever she can, I was wrong!! I like to use spotted gum here,(Australia) it has all the qualities of hickory and is used for a lot of the same purposes due to it's 'shockability'.

·
Registered
290 Posts
As far as working with Wood besides strenth I think they are also taking about the beautiy of the Wood. I have seen some Beautiful slings here that I would give out a lot of 1st place winners. Even bought a couple from other builders they are a work of art..
My favorites are Birds Eye Maple and Cocobolo Some Plys have great color. Also a Stain or finish can make a real difference. Sure their are many others.... Just saying... True .

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Hard Maple is my favorite wood for a Classic style board cut slingshot, but for wilder ergo designs I would use a laminite of some kind. Baltic Birch Plywood is a good cheap one. -- Tex

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
wood is wood

[/quote]i would never say anything bad a bout beer! wood is wood, to me? i have worked with balsa to lignum, bamboo is one of the easier to work with, very soft, but finishes well, and is very strong for its very light weight i recently purchased wenge, tiger wood, purple heart, and paduck, because of the grain and knowledge of how they will look finished, i did google wenge this morning to find out its highly toxic. cool! but so far its an experiment, i just love going after different materials to see how they tool and how they finish, sorry

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hickory heh? Never seen a ss made from hickory?
Well here in the south just about all slings were made from dogwood and hickory. As for Rufus, most of his were dogwood, some hickory and some sourwood. The ol timers in my family have showed me much over the years like how to make slingshots and how the hickory tree is best for making whistles when the sap is still down in the tree because the bark slips off easier.
In my opinion dogwood is the absolute best. I can get it free and abunduntly here. AND you will be hard pressed to find a harder wood in the woods. (Maybe osage but its found in fields.)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am glad this topic sparked a little interest. I know I was being vague but eventually the topic was touched on by you guys.I was really interested in durability then looks. If you read all the posts both topics were discussed. I am very interested in trying some of the woods you all are talking about.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts