Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Freezin' my Butt Off
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it weird that I'm not all that sold on these narrow gap pegheads? The fork tips look like they would not support wide bands, and the overall look is not too appealing. It seems to me that within a year nobody will recognize one. As to the claims of Robin Hood like accuracy, I'm somewhat doubtful. Sure lighter bands will help reduce shaking, but you could just put lighter bands on any other slingshot. I am not saying that all slingshots are equal, far from it. (Is that racist?) A well made ergonomic frame is likely to be instinctively more accurate than a wrist rocket. (Don't think I'm bashing wrist rockets...wait...never mind, I am) All this craze seems kind of like trying to find the philosopher's stone of slingshots. Anyway, I'm going to stick to lots of practice, we'll see what happens.

Cheers,
The Norseman

·
Registered
243 Posts
The feihu tree fork exists in China since many years ago when the steel or iron rod is not easy available many years like nowadays. Until now there are still lots of top shooters like its style, there must be some reason.
For me, the smaller tip brings an advantage of wider angle of visibility on the target.
Yes, the only way to get accurate shot is to practise. But this is not conflicting with a truth that the feihu style has advantages on some points.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
612 Posts
I don't think anyone is looking for a miracle shooter, it's just another fun thing to try. I personally find the Feihu pattern pretty comfortable.

As for the fork tips, a cool thing about the round design is that it doesn't need to support a wide band- flats can be tied around the fork tip and it can accommodate pretty wide cuts if you do it properly. In other words, the width of the band isn't restricted to the width of the fork tip.

·
Freezin' my Butt Off
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think anyone is looking for a miracle shooter, it's just another fun thing to try. I personally find the Feihu pattern pretty comfortable.
As for the fork tips, a cool thing about the round design is that it doesn't need to support a wide band- flats can be tied around the fork tip and it can accommodate pretty wide cuts if you do it properly. In other words, the width of the band isn't restricted to the width of the fork tip.
With the band around the edges of the tip, won't it shorten the band life?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
You can actually put whatever width bands you like, they just turn around the peghead. Band life is not reduced in the least, bands still fail at the pouch as always.
Any frame can be accurate, as you said, but the side field vision of the target is a definite advantage. You really just need to shoot once with a feihu frame to realise just how much effective they are :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
With the band around the edges of the tip, won't it shorten the band life?
I haven't noticed any problems, nor have I heard of any. People wouldn't be using and designing them if that was a flaw inherent in the design. I tend to avoid the ones with particularly sharp angles in that area anyway, though. Just in case.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I doubt it will ever be forgotten, at least not in China where they came from. It's been around for a long time, long enough to be considered a classic. I too had my doubts about peg heads and narrow forks. But after having shot a handful of them I now have a very good opinion about feihus and realise that having conclusions before actually being acquainted with something is plainly a short-sighted prejudice that I am not proud of ever harbouring. We should really just embrace the diversity of designs and enjoy what each has to offer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts