Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in doubt about ordering a feihu frame, when it dawned on me that due to the fork shape, only the band would be visible, which is something I consider beneficial.
I ordered the el cheapo black frame from the piaoyu store, 5 euros shipping included. I adjusted the bands it came with and took some test shots. As I expected, you get a nice line of sight that includes only the bands!
To be honest, I did find it beneficial not having the extra length of fork tip annoying me.
I am not saying that the difference is huge, as I shoot both the feihu and the Uniphoxx the same.
So, what's your opinion on this guys? Did you find not having a fork tip showing beneficial?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I currently make my frames with very low forks. I use a finger hook & thumb brace hold with a sideways frame position. My thumb will usually stick out a tiny bit beyond the lower fork tip and my index finger will be very close to the tip. I can see enough of the top fork corner to provide an aiming index (approx 1/4"). I seem to have better accuracy with low profile forks.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I currently make my frames with very low forks. I use a finger hook & thumb brace hold with a sideways frame position. My thumb will usually stick out a tiny bit beyond the lower fork tip and my index finger will be very close to the tip. I can see enough of the top fork corner to provide an aiming index (approx 1/4"). I seem to have better accuracy with low profile forks.
I like the same, like this here?:
e24d45417a7f582eebcdfdf413a19571.jpg

Sent using two thumbs and Tapatalk.

Reactions: Pebble Shooter

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've been shooting OTT a little bit more lately ever since I got my GZK Feihu. I've been grabbing my Uniphoxx a little more as well. I agree the line of sight the Feihu gives is nice and clear.

I've tried to get the same line of sight with my Torques and recently acquired ProShot Catapult PSTS by moving the bands all the way to the end of the forks, instead of banding in the middle.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I feel like aiming a Scout qith its squared up fork tips is like a Glock sight picture. The feihu frames are like aiming a Colt 1851. A long skinny sight radius, versus a short thick sight picture. Probably why the world champ runs a peghead rig. :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Aiming hurts my performance, may hurt others as well. Focus on target, tell your self they must meet. Pull and release in one smooth motion. Keep doing this hundreds of thousands of times. Well maybe not that many... But you will improve. Get faster speeds this way, more discrete.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aiming hurts my performance, may hurt others as well. Focus on target, tell your self they must meet. Pull and release in one smooth motion. Keep doing this hundreds of thousands of times. Well maybe not that many... But you will improve. Get faster speeds this way, more discrete.
I am still unsure if "not-aiming" really exists to tell you the truth.
Sometimes I feel I shoot instinctively, but I know I just aimed instantly instead ;)
There's only way to really tell. Shooting pitch black bands, on a pitch black frame, in pitch black conditions, with only the target lighted. If I see someone getting good accuracy under those conditions, then I will be convinced :)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Aiming makes perfect sense in my opinion for anyone who either does not have a natural talent to shoot and hit "instinctively", or who prefers to see consistent results linked to identical draw lengths and anchor points after some basic training and practice - as is the case in archery, where the outer surface of the string touches the tip of the nose to ensure consistency in conjunction with efficient aiming devices.

That said, there are some incredible "instinctive" talents out there, but what I mostly see in slingshot videos are free "floating" anchor points (pouch drawn back to semi-"butterfly" style) where aiming of some form nevertheless prevails. Personally I have taken a liking for the Chinese low fork, pinch grip designs with fiber optic aiming devices, as one can achieve some amazing accuracy with those at around 10 yards: my homemade board cut "Twin-Loop" slingshot, which I made before knowing about the Chinese designs back in 2013, uses a similar low-fork design (see attached photo).

The only danger with very low forks is the risk of potential fork or finger hits that may occur after a bad release - albeit this becoming rare as one acquires more slingshot shooting experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am still on the fence about "instinctive" shooting. What does it really mean?
And even if we conclude that "instinctive" shooting really exists, which would require the test I proposed above, then I would love to see a top level instinctive shooter actually competing and getting a good spot on the final standings.
How many of the top 50 shooters in the world cup were shooting instinctive? Or at least claimed they were?
For me, instinctive is aiming done the hard way. One just shoots countless shots, practicing how to hit the target without reference points. He still does the same movements, so muscle memory sends the shots consistently, but it's still aiming. Aiming doesn't require a reference point to be called aiming.
Guys, I think we should have a dedicated thread about aiming/instinctive shooting though ????

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I tend to look at slingshot shooting a lot like martial arts, specifically when compared to Kung Fu. In kung fu there is the soft way and the hard way, the soft way not actually being any softer at all properly applied. Soft style refers to a more fluid method of movement, what some refer to as economy of motion. Hard Style is generally as it sounds, short stiff movements done in a hard rapid fashion. I liken aimed shooting (i.e. application of and anchor point fixed or floating, clean stance & a reference point) to soft style. Instinctive I compare (short, rapid strokes from a loose stance, sometimes using a flip, no fixed reference or anchor point) to hard style. One will traditionally learn and train hard style as to learn the movements and muscle memory necessary to execute the movements perfectly every time. Also a style more suited to young and stromg bodies. Once the body had aged (and due to rigorous training, hardened) soft style would often be the way most went. This style was again, no less deadly, but incorporated a much less direct approach and used many fewr blocks in leu of parrys & holds. Basically:

Hard Style = PFS, Frameless, Instinctive.
-Badass older shooters
-Crazy assed younger shooters

Soft Style = Aimed, precision shooting
-Dedicated older shooters
-Disciplined younger shooters

All this is speaking in generalities but hopefully you guys get what Im trying to say lol.

Reactions: lunasling

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I absolutely love the aiming sight with Feihu slingshots, but I band the pouch laterally, not the usual threefold way, to improve the verticality of the band. Thats even more important when you use quite narrow bands.
Also: i grip with the thumb down the pouch which helps me keep the elbow straight.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I absolutely love the aiming sight with Feihu slingshots, but I band the pouch laterally, not the usual threefold way, to improve the verticality of the band. Thats even more important when you use quite narrow bands.
Also: i grip with the thumb down the pouch which helps me keep the elbow straight.
The only issue I have with the feihu frames is that they need a floating anchor, otherwise the fixed anchor point goes too high for comfort.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi brother, where is the piaoyu store? a shop of aliexpress?

I was in doubt about ordering a feihu frame, when it dawned on me that due to the fork shape, only the band would be visible, which is something I consider beneficial.
I ordered the el cheapo black frame from the piaoyu store, 5 euros shipping included. I adjusted the bands it came with and took some test shots. As I expected, you get a nice line of sight that includes only the bands!
To be honest, I did find it beneficial not having the extra length of fork tip annoying me.
I am not saying that the difference is huge, as I shoot both the feihu and the Uniphoxx the same.
So, what's your opinion on this guys? Did you find not having a fork tip showing beneficial?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Yep, it's in AliExpress. I have only good things to say for them.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
745 Posts

They have ALWAYS done right by me as well. The same seller is on eBay USA and I buy from him often. I thought it was the same seller as every slingshot the seller has on eBay can be had from the Piaoyu store at Aliexpress. I finally asked the question and the answer was "yes it is me". Prices are a bit cheaper from the Piaoyu store than eBay while I think shipping is faster when bought from the same guy on eBay. What I like best is he ALWAYS packs the slingshot well protected no matter which place you buy from him or how cheap the item is.

Here is his eBay USA store and most probably uses the same seller name on eBay UK but I do not know that for sure.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=jiangyu2008416-8&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.Xslingshot.TRS2&_nkw=slingshot&_sacat=0

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I need to try one of those feihu shooters when I get home. They look like great fun but I've yet to see one in person.
If it's any consolation, whenever I shoot mine, I am reminded of your advice, "Get rid of all the crutches"!
Those forks force you to see only the bands, and I find it benefits my focus.
They don't aid in accuracy of course, they are just a frame type, but this peculiarity of theirs, offers me much comfort.

Reactions: M.J
1 - 20 of 22 Posts