Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yesterday's trip was for the high school, today was the middle schooler's turn. Same spot, similar set of standards. Much WORSE weather. it poured for the entire 6 hours but we still had a blast. I was able to head shoot 2 grouse with my trusty alder natural. I use 1 and 1/4 wide straight cut TBG. Ammo was glass marbles from the local toy store. These Jr. high kiddos helped me pick out and carve this slingshot so it was really cool for them to see it in it's natural element doing what it was designed to do. I gave them one match and sent them into the dense forest to get some semi-dry firewood. Within a few minutes they had put their prior lessons to work and had a small smokey fire going. Then they opened their packs out came about 15 lbs of marinated moose steaks and caribou kabobs. We enjoyed lunch in the rain at the base of a glacier near a lake and it was amazing to see them all work together to accomplish a goal. I am a history teacher, but more importantly I focus on building real life skills and wilderness awareness. They did good today. Here are some pics, without kids in them of course.

Here is a pic of my setup. I had this old army surplus first aid belt pouch laying around and it holds a ton of ammo and extra bands and ties. I love it.

Z5U5kxp.jpg?1

Delicious meats! Caribou, Moose and Grouse. A fine meal after 6 miles of hiking, and fuel for the last two miles of hiking out to the boat.

nQmKNKu.jpg?1

Birds and slingshot at a very rainy and foggy Glacier lake. See previous post for better pictures of the glacier!

amjRtWz.jpg?1

Thanks for coming along.

Msturm

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Amazing...Jr. High...you are a brave & kind man. hahaha...

Nice shots and skills.

I've heard those birds are good to eat and are dumb...both on Gary Paulsen's The Hatchet and from folks you hunt & eat them.

You have a treasure in that flip. A lofe time and some folks don't have anything that cool.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Great job and lucky kids! I can't think of a more fun time than stopping along the way and cooking up what you shot. What a great experience for the kids. I suspect you'll get some shooters out of the mix.

BTW, for me, grouse is the best game bird there is.

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Awesome shooting and great post!!! I wish the grouse were dumb here lol. Here they are a challenge to hunt. I usually shoot about 5 a year, but have only ever got 3 with a sling. Here there gone before you can ever get close enough. So we always shoot them on the fly.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome shooting and great post!!! I wish the grouse were dumb here lol. Here they are a challenge to hunt. I usually shoot about 5 a year, but have only ever got 3 with a sling. Here there gone before you can ever get close enough. So we always shoot them on the fly.
yeah Ruff grouse are much harder to get close to! These spruce grouse fly about 50 yards and stay still in a tree.

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
yeah Ruff grouse are much harder to get close to! These spruce grouse fly about 50 yards and stay still in a tree.
Gotcha. We don't have spruce grouse here, just ruff grouse and Hungarian partridge.

Spruce grouse are good to eat there ehh? I have family on the main land and they don't eat them, they say you might as well eat a spruce bough lol.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gotcha. We don't have spruce grouse here, just ruff grouse and Hungarian partridge.

Spruce grouse are good to eat there ehh? I have family on the main land and they don't eat them, they say you might as well eat a spruce bough lol.
Yeah, if you get them in the fall after they have been eating blueberries they are delicious! I don't even mind the sprucy ones in the winter either. make great chili.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts