Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one finally got finished, and I got confirmation that it was safe in it's new home this week. I started it months ago, and kept getting sidetracked on it, and putting it down to do something else, but with a little encouragement from it's new owner I finally got it done. I'm pretty sure this one started out as the fork at the top left in this pic.

After a couple trips through the jointer and planer, I split it down the middle on the bandsaw and got these.

So, I cut a center laminate of mahogany, and used some stainless shim stock I had a roll of laying around for spacers. Not a mistake I'll make again anytime soon, that stuff is evil. But where skill and planning fail, blind stubbornness sometimes prevails, and I got to this point.

Darn stainless eats grinder belts too. But finally, after a good bit of blood, sweat, and maybe a few tears, I got through to this.

And it joined a few of it's brothers and sisters for a trip half way around the world to it's new owner. Hope he liked it!

Let me know what you think!

James

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Amazing work james ,that is stunning i am sure the new owner will more than like it ,he is one lucky guy.

·
Rule #14
1,519 Posts
Epic work! nice touch with the SS laminates
It's a shame you couldn't keep one for yourself

Q: Any estimates on how long it took on the build?

·
Registered
288 Posts
wow james that kooks realy nice my friend some nice grain in that wood you have done a cracking job on it and the finish look flawles mate I carnt wait to see the one I am getting of you now lol be real nice to shoot too.

Atb kev

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Wow, you really brought out the beauty of that wood. Fantastic job, James. That's a real beauty!

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Wow! -- Tex

·
Premium Member
4,900 Posts
That's great James should be strong enough with the SS laminate! I like the Tex design
one of my best shooters is one from a pecan natural.

·
Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Epic work! nice touch with the SS laminates
It's a shame you couldn't keep one for yourself

Q: Any estimates on how long it took on the build?
At least a year from harvest to finished. Probably 8 or 9 months from first cut, but for actual hands on time, probably 4 or 5 hours between flattening, cutting and drilling the stainless, gluing, shaping, sanding, applying the CA, then polishing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts