Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Years everyone!!
I've been wanting a portable catchbox for sometime now. So I made this one up yesterday from an oil jug, a quick and easy build, but works great and is a lot of fun.

Thank for looking guys. Kitchen appliance Home appliance Gas Audio equipment Machine
Product Kitchen appliance Gas Carton Machine
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light White Grille Hood
Motor vehicle Gas Wood Fender Automotive exterior
Drinkware Fluid Drink Cylinder Gas

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a nice one. Good job buddy. I'm having trouble finding anything that will hold up to butterflied 7/16 steel, let us know how those hold up.
Thank you my friend. I'll let you know. As you know I shoot 7/16 and butterfly as well and so far after a few hundred shots the only thing I'm gonna change is the Paracord to leather lacing, one good hit on the cord and it cuts it clean

· Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice! I've been thinking about doing something similar, but on a larger scale. I have a 55 gallon plastic drum coming and I love the use of ready rod and nuts to act both as a spreader and a way to suspend targets. Trust me, I still need a much larger target box!

Mark
Thank you. Yes the threaded rod works well.

· Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Nice as soon as I read your headline I was thinking here we go . The machinist catch box take an engineering degree to set up lol . Nice and simple Shane I like it !
Haha. Funny you say that. You should see my plans for the original one I wanted to build. Self resetting knockdowns and an ammo funnel. I'll build one day lol.

· Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Nice as soon as I read your headline I was thinking here we go . The machinist catch box take an engineering degree to set up lol . Nice and simple Shane I like it !
I had the same thought. All my machinist friends are big time over achievers. I dig their style, but I am a bit lackadaisical and more of a wing it tinkerer.
Island Made, that is simple and very portable catchbox, friend.
I sometimes carry paracord and an old bed sheet for a takedown pocketable backstop...like on hikes.
Thanks Pat! Ya sometimes us machinist can get a little carried away lol. But I'm a full believer that simpler is a lot of the times better. And that's a great idea carrying a bed sheet and cord! That's about as portable as it gets!!

· Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Great built as always, Island.

My concern is the ricochets when you accidentally land shots on the metal components that hold the spinners. Since you place the various spinners together within a small area, my experience tells me ricochet is likely to happen very often. I reckon elastic tubes (yeah literally those for slingshots) or regular strings are better fits to avoid ricochets.
Thank you, and thanks for your concern. I shoot pretty heavy (full butter) and I've shot this about 200 times in the past few days with 0 ricochets, the threaded rod is round of course, so any shots that hit it above Center will deflect up into the catchbox, and any that contact low with get drove down into the backstop. And if you manage to get it dead on Center, with 15-18 pfe coming at it there's enough give in the plastice tub that it just gets out of the way lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.