Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
How's it going guys? Haven't posted in a SS forum in quite a while. I've been inactive with SS for about 8 years now. I haven't shot around since about middle school, and the transition from high school to college, playing sports and what not, to working full time (about 8 years) things are starting to settle down a bit for now. Anyways, I got around to shooting my slingshot again and I started off by ordering some dankung tubes from simple shot to use on my jungle hunter 2. Shortly after a 10 pack of pre assembled premier bands off of Amazon were purchased for a great price and thrown on a homemade SS and an old ranger from Bill Hays. I had some left over 3/8 steel from a few years back and right away started to destroy cans in the backyard. That lasted about a couple days off before I remembered steel balls don't grow on trees. Right away as if second nature I made a catch box out of cardboard and it was quickly destroyed (small box). So, the search for a better catchbox began. I thought of many configurations some out of buckets, plastic drums, building one out of wood, storage bins, so many options. All the buckets I had at home I felt were too small for the distance I want to shoot at. Out of the wood pile at home most of the wood was already warped and only good for burning. I even considered using a plastic wash bin as a catchbox before realizing it was too brittle it was the same thing with the storage bins around the house. I didn't want to hang anything either since it would take up too much space in my yard. I had been eyeing this cabinet that was in the yard assuming my dad who is a handyman had plans with it. Anyways, pops noticed me shooting again and like how hard the ammo punched and realized this wasn't one of the toys he used to buy me. I filled him in on my plans to make a catchbox soon so I could save my ammo and right away he suggested that I should check out this old cabinet that he had outback. About an hour later this is the outcome.

7e64820bd2f18a57765ced9c0512714b.jpg

696535546ac0560e354a0faeaddce572.jpg

108435671723871a931ae32a5e83be54.jpg

80e5aa212624ae2def9f2cacba3bdb48.jpg

I'm using some cheap canvas material that I had laying around for now. It's held up with 1/4" x 20 steel rod fastened on each side of the box. I was having a few bounce outs whenever I shot high. So, put a piece of canvas on the bottom to help prevent that.

f4f1077be6506c8c7502fd07f6b225d5.jpg

I'm shooting from the back door of the house which is about 33 feet or 11 yards, I measured it a long time ago.

b87c7d0dbf8861b71dad8335ad092dfa.jpg

7c7b2c73e54be5a4c48ebbfbb39d6889.jpg

687657a39706ac3ed8eaea693b5969bf.jpg

I'm most accurate with the big wooden one that I made back in about seventh grade 2010, then the ranger then the dankung. I can hit the 2 inch steel washer with any of the three however.

182c82adc7a4eac236915ab6c942e560.jpg

I want to get better with the Dankung because it's the most comfortable in the pocket for me and I feel like it's the most resilient as far as the bands go to being cut up or knicked by foreign objects. The flat bands are great too however. I paid $20 for 10 bandsets and they work great plus, free next day shipping!! They're a little long for my draw about 34 inches so I just shortened them up a little bit.

069bb6fadd4e1df795a9066ee4a032d7.jpg

They also tied the pouches with the extra rubber on the soft side, not the smooth leather of the pouch, a little weird but they still shoot just fine.

73cd8f37428a445972cebe8f5add54ee.jpg

In the end I'm just really excited to be shooting again. Hope you guys enjoy the read let me know if you rather have a bit shorter of a post next time around. I'm from SoCal btw!
-Dylan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Excuse the pictures being all scrambled up. Haven't posted in a while, I'm still getting the hang of this app.

·
Premium Member
9,605 Posts
That should work just fine and it was free! Free is good!
Shoot those micro fiber pouches the way they're tied, rough side out and you'll be hooked before ya know it. Welcome back to the insanely!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a sweet set up and that homemade aling just needs a little more love to make it really good
I was thinking maybe a dremel to the sides? I'm not sure if I should sand the faces and stain it? Open up the pinky hole a little more and clean it up? I'm a little too scared to touch lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would sand it to get it smooth, even and consistent. Then dremel the edges to smooth them out an if you dont wanna stain it dont but I would at least us a spray on sealer to keep moisture out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts