Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope to do some slingshot hunting in the near future. It will be my first time. I know that no matter how much I practice there will be shots that will not be directly on the head. So, what is the best way to finish off a rabbit or squirrel that has been hit and injured but not dead?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Break it's neck.
Please excuse my ignorance. How exactly do you do that? Do you pick it up and twist it? Do you step on the head and lift the body???????

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Since you sound new to hunting rabbits be careful with them. Always wear gloves when cleaning or doing anything that might expose the blood of a wild rabbit to an open wound on you. Rabbits commonly carry Tularemia, a potentially deadly bacterial infection. Cooking them kills the bacteria so wild rabbit is safe to eat. Just keep it in mind.

Hammer handle. It's a great use for an old hammer.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Winnie, is 100% correct. Watch out when dressing, cleaning, and butchering.

A priest is any small club that is used to brain an mortally injured animal. It needs to be stout, not necessarily heavy.

I have saw the neck break before...but I do not want to pick up a wound animal with serrated razor teeth either.

A whack or a stomp...but again you may be tracking blood borne pathogens on your boots. I prefer the priest.

Make one.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Winnie, is 100% correct. Watch out when dressing, cleaning, and butchering.

A priest is any small club that is used to brain an mortally injured animal. It needs to be stout, not necessarily heavy.

I have saw the neck break before...but I do not want to pick up a wound animal with serrated razor teeth either.

A whack or a stomp...but again you may be tracking blood borne pathogens on your boots. I prefer the priest.

Make one.
Good advice Winnie and Mako! I'd be worried about trying to grab a wounded animal and getting bit. Alternatively, if you have a little .22 revolver you could give it the ol' love tap from a distance.

Reactions: Island made

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yep as said a stick or rock or hammer handle or a quick tug on the head will end it quick. Move quickly though don't hesitate. Squirrels and rabbits and grouse will run and try to find a hole or sheltered place to lie down and die and without a dog you may never find them. So as soon as they hit the ground get on em.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I feel a little more prepared now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts