Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote about the main building work here:

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/114936-i-am-enjoying-this-tree-fork/

but I forgot to show the finished slingshot.

I've had little time to shoot it yet as I diverted into trying to shoot 10-metre paper targets with smaller slingshots. Oh dear.

The double flatbands are Precise 3G 0.70mm, tapered 11 to 9mm, effective length 6.3".

I said "Version 1" in the title because the forks feel a bit too high, with the 5 kg/11 lb draw weight for only 4x stretch. I may shorten them a little and widen the tips outwards to take single, wider bands Or, of course, I may not bother.

In general, I have since stopped using leather cushion pads and simplified the flatband-to-fork binding by using one Constrictor Knot followed by 3 double overhand knots and a double reef knot.

The ammo shown is dried stoneware potters' clay, 3.5, 4 and 5 grammes, and a 25mm/1", 10-gramme ice ball. The ice balls are fun.

"Wings" dimensions are:

mm inches

Height 164 6.4

Width 93 3.7

Fork gap 65 2.5

Fork depth 54 2.1

Width of pinch grip 55 2.1

I have since acquired a Dankung chronograph which is fun, and very revealing, and I am looking forward to experimenting with various bands and ammo.

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
After shooting a little yesterday, I'll leave "Wings" as she is for a while. The long forks favour the "forward wrist flick" that feels good with heavier ammo.

[ Back in the 1950s, shooting pebbles with a deliberately narrow OTT treefork, the forward flick was popular and I don't remember any fork hits. ]

And I want to chronograph "Wings" before I change anything, too. She may have a bit too much rubber at the moment and the chronograph will show me how much I can reduce it.

I'm wondering how many people still use the forward wrist flick, whether they do it consciously or by instinct, and how many people try hard to keep the wrist rock-steady.

Slow motion video shows that I cannot prevent my wrist from rotating forward anyway, however hard I try. It would take a wrist brace, and they turn a slingshot into a much less compact tool.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I like to let it happen naturally with the release. Seems to be the most consistent for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,543 Posts
Different and Cool!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts