Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first one is a compact Apple tree natural that I cut from an old overgrown Mackintosh apple tree that was in the backyard of my old house. I made sure to grab a few Deadwood forks before I moved. I carved it as a gift for someone....paying it forward.
There's a few people I want to send gifts too, so I'm gonna be busy carving frames for the next few weeks. It's also a fun way to pass time til warm weather arrives!
Sanded to 800 grit and finished with 3 coats of BLO

The other is an Oak plywood (shop grade) board cut for my daughter. It was my first time carving plywood so it was a good test. I ordered a half sheet of Baltic Birch Cabinet grade ply that should turn out better cleaner frames. My daughter absolutely loves it, so I'm happy.
I sanded this one to 800 as well, but TBH, it didn't really improve any at all past 400....but, I continued to 800 anyway...if only because of habit....or my OCD....it was hard not to scrap it buy my daughter kept saying she was loving it....so I swallowed my pride and finished it up like a father should

Roasted maple board cuts and Natty's only, until my Baltic Birch arrives...

MW

1097826932e025eace3e571034acaf81.jpg
f6a165aa660a5ed7ef93b9dddeecc611.jpg
e8f983a7f6d57f73370e4d18c03796be.jpg
41095349d008b1691ca52466b3607243.jpg
2dac6aa1f9012cc4e1f5db7682dd4104.jpg
67425df9b53f6811adb01f72a893fecc.jpg

Sent from my B3-A40 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice frames! I especially like the silky smooth look of the apple fork.
I usually sand to an even higher grain and I think i see a huge difference even on blo finished wood. But it is possible to Sand too much. I once sanded a ca finish on a knife handle to 1500 and it was too slippery, it felt like my hand was sweating as soon as I held the knife...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually sand to an even higher grain and I think i see a huge difference even on blo finished wood. But it is possible to Sand too much. I once sanded a ca finish on a knife handle to 1500 and it was too slippery, it felt like my hand was sweating as soon as I held the knife...
I go all the way way up to 2000 on really hard dense and tight grain wood....maple gets super smooth, like glass.....but the cheap oak plywood is so brittle...it doesn't smoothen up very well....even when it IS smooth, it still looks rough....very frustrating when I like everything perfectly done...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I'm enjoying working with apple...this was the first time for me...when the oil is applied the wood turns a pink color just like when an apple is peeled but ya don't peel deep enough into the white flesh....it was pretty cool to see....

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's not to love about those? The ply looks quite comfortable and the apple.....well it's apple. You can't go wrong with apple wood. Save the trimmings for the smoker.lol.
A couple of real beauties brother!
After working with the roasted birdseye maple, everything seems sub par by comparison...
I'm a bit of a perfectionist so the plywood was a bit of a frustrating situation...but I have to accept that sometimes things just aren't meant to be flawless. I kinda knew that when I started with the cheap plywood...still once I got into it, was difficult to accept...
I never thought to keep the trimmings from the apple wood...I don't have a smoker, but it could be a used on the grill a well right?

Reactions: Ibojoe

·
Registered
256 Posts
I go all the way way up to 2000 on really hard dense and tight grain wood....maple gets super smooth, like glass.....but the cheap oak plywood is so brittle...it doesn't smoothen up very well....even when it IS smooth, it still looks rough....very frustrating when I like everything perfectly done...

The plywood doesnt look Rough to me- I Van see the edges and they look *shiny*! and I bet it feels smooth, which is just as important imo. But I still know what you mean- maybe you should try making your own plywood... its expensive, but it's fun, let me tell you...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

The plywood doesnt look Rough to me- I Van see the edges and they look *shiny*! and I bet it feels smooth, which is just as important imo. But I still know what you mean- maybe you should try making your oben plywood... its expensive, but it's fun, let me tell you...
I'm hoping that the cabinet grade baltic birch will be better to work with...an will finish better....it should, seeing as it's is waaay more expensive than the shop grade stuff

Reactions: Ibojoe
1 - 20 of 33 Posts