Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys finish your naturals? I have used epoxy resin before (no idea if that is correct or not as I'm new to building) but I had trouble making it come out smooth, so am looking for other ideas.

Got one ready to finish for my brother's birthday present, I want to do a good job of it!

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
I use a good quality Poly Varnish like is used on floors if I want a gloss finish or 7-8 coats of Watco Oil if I wan a more natural satin finish. The Watch is also good for keeping the wood from drying out and checking.

GP

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
You can also use CA glue (Superglue) - its messy and try to keep away from the fumes - but if done well will give you a super glossy durable finish. I'd probably go to at least 600 grit sandpaper.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Everyone has their favourite go-to finishing regimes and products and I think it's not the product we use but our understanding of how to get the best out of it. For me, it would be some combination of BLO and a varnish mix (danish oil) followed by paste wax buffing.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
Welcome my friend. A nattie with bark on needs a surface finish. The gentlemen before me are correct. Anything that stays on top and doesn’t absorb. Hurray for birthday flips!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.