Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have recently switched from the dowel / matchstick method to the over the top method to attach the flatbands to my boardcuts - I was amazed with the increase in accuracy. My question is, how do you secure your slingshot when applying the finish? When I used the dowel / matchstick method it was easy, just insert a tongue depressor in both slots 90 degrees to the frame, and I had a handy holder and mount to let the slingshot dry. Now all I have are two grooves and not a lot of stability, or is it do half the slingshot one day and half the next? Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
6,512 Posts
Hi Pawzzz,
I drill a small hole in the bottom of the handle and put an eye screw in there. Put your finish on and then hang her on something to dry. The hole can always be filled in with putty or left open. I leave mine alone because I've found that a lot of my customers like to put a leather lanyard in the bottom of the frame and wrap it around their wrists as extra support-sort of like a wrist brace. Most don't mind it at all. Hope it helps Bud! Flatband

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I stick one of those thumb tacks with the plastic grooved piece on them, tie a string to the tack and stick it in the bottom of the handle and hang it up to dry. I do the tips first and work my way down the handle until I end up holding the tack to finish the handle.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
If you're going to clamp, clip, or otherwise attach it, it's best to do that where the bands tie on so that it doesn't show later.

The one below was lacquered in several coats but not clamped at all. I just let it dry, next time I came into the shop I flipped it and sprayed again, then left it to dry then sprayed again, etc.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Hey Gary, that's exactly how I do it, except I usually fill the hole with a wooden peg super-glued in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts