Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a piece of 3/4 in Baltic birch so I could take a stab at making some board cuts. Here is my progress so far.
3bd216b9f2dd166fe8a453d14de67aae.jpg

214ec6414a61aef77b19078251fd7e30.jpg

Overall shape turned out okay by the details Are pretty rough. I'm gonna sand it up really good and probably do some more shaping on that lumpy handle. haha. but I'm not sure what to do for finish? I have BLO on hand Can I just do a BLO soak like a Natty?

Oh yeah, I banded her up just to make sure and she shoots pretty good! And the nice thing about the band ties is they cover up the hack job I did in those band grooves! Next one will be better! I have that Ranger blank waiting to work on.
2e4dc1c6b93a04a242df564c8087bb2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SLING-N-SHOT
5,483 Posts
Great job on that [mention]Scrat [/mention] , however, I would soak in BLO as the ply might delaminate, but you could do a couple of thin wipe on coats, followed by a coat of Johnson's paste wax then buffed to a nice sheen.

Sand really well if you choose to power buff as the buffing wheel could catch on a rough ply edge and rip a chunk off.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Great job on that [mention]Scrat [/mention] , however, I would soak in BLO as the ply might delaminate, but you could do a couple of thin wipe on coats, followed by a coat of Johnson's paste wax then buffed to a nice sheen.

Sand really well if you choose to power buff as the buffing wheel could catch on a rough ply edge and rip a chunk off.

Thanks for the info! The Delaminating is specifically what I was wondering about but that's All gonna help with the finishing process.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The points on the pinch grip will catch in your pocket but you've done a great job shaping it up into a beautiful shooter :headbang:
you're absolutely right about the points. I think the frame is a little big for what I'd like in a pocket shooter anyway. I think the ranger will be better for that though.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Looks awesome! Looks like you got a couple great Shooters there. I use 5-minute epoxy to coat my ply slingshots. I do a couple coats to get a really glass finish. The only problem with some of my slingshots is that it's so smooth that when my hands get sweaty it affects my grip. So I end up wrapping them with gaffer tape for better grip.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
You might try a sealer. For instance, mix a small amount of water with some wood glue and go around and paint all the edges. Don't get it up on the surface. Let dry for a day or so. Now I think you'd be safe using Blo. Soak it on there real good, let it set for 1/2 hour or so then wipe it dry. Wait a day or two and use the BLO again, wipe off the excess. Let dry for a day or so, then put a good coat of wax on it. (I use johnson's floor wax.)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lots of good suggestions here! Thanks! I have lots of board left so I'll try out all of these as I get better with my jigsaw.

SJaz, I definitely have wood glue so I'll give that a try on one of these two.

Vince, how do you apply the epoxy? With some kind of brush?

Gonna need to get some wax for sure. And I've been planning to get some true oil for my next natural anyway.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Quick update with the ranger template. Got it smoothed out and banded up for a few test shots. I made this one the same fork width as my scout LT so it was quick to get on target. I see what you guys were saying about this frame. It really is a nice pocketable shape. I think my next "store-bought" frame will be one of these.
ac67e6d00db2c0d26f1c0fceb3d57252.jpg

599858d918138d7a16f3d47300dae5a8.jpg

I'll post some more pics once I get them both finished and polished up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.