Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not bad at all. You took a lot of wood off, hopefully you had some power tools to help you? That looks like it was a lot of work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Haha yes, a lot of wood. I have more photo's but didn't know it wouldn't let me attach more of them in the comments :(. No power tools man... I actually was looking for a whittling project but ended up with a lot more haha. Did it with a coping saw, a fiskar saw, and a fiskar scythe that I used as kinda an axe. Next time I'm going to go for a smaller fork :rofl:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are on your way man! Take your time finishing it, get it just the way you think it ought to be first.
Thanks man, trying to get it just right. The further along I get the more scared I get to touch it because there is less and less margin for error

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am uploading some of the other pictures I took on the project leading up to the completion. The last picture is my first coat of tru oil I applied tonight after going up to 120 grit and adding band grooves as well as a tube hole for a matchstick setup if i want to try that in the future. I've learned to much working on this.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good job buddy. That's where the really nice grain is, way down deep in a big ol fork. Very nice.
Hey thanks a lot! It's amazing how much character is in wood that I just never would have known or appreciated before doing this

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome! Looking forward to your finished product!
Thank you! I'm going to update with one more picture after I am done with all of the coats on this guy. I think I'm going to go up to 4 coats of Tru Oil waiting 3-5 hours between coats and then use some 0000 steel wool on it and finish with a final top coat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, done until I can get some 0000 wool. Made a few mistakes and learned a lot from them. I’m happy overall with what I knocked out on my first go

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts